Apple Snail Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello All,

I have gotten many Apple(Mystery) Snails from a couple a pet stores in the area. I have noticed that the employees close the operculum or trapdoor of the shell and pressed it far inside the shell. It looks like it could be harmful to the snail if the person presses too far in. Is there a reason these stores do this?

Thanks!

Their is no reason that I know of for them to do that. They are basically torturing the snails. Pushing them way back into their shell would put pressure on their internal organs. Snails will naturally close up when they feel they are in danger. I have bought and raised many apple mystery snails and have never seen anyone do that. I would ask the store people why and explain to them they could harm the snail doing that. It may be something someone wrongly told them and they just need to be educated about it being harmful.

Their is no reason that I know of for them to do that. They are basically torturing the snails. Pushing them way back into their shell would put pressure on their internal organs. Snails will naturally close up when they feel they are in danger. I have bought and raised many apple mystery snails and have never seen anyone do that. I would ask the store people why and explain to them they could harm the snail doing that. It may be something someone wrongly told them and they just need to be educated about it being harmful.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am glad that I asked. The mom and pop shops don't do that, just the pet stores. Next time I go in I will ask them to see why.

Please do and post their answer here if you don't mind. You have me curious as to what they could possibly hope to accomplish from this.

I have seen staff at a variety of stores press gently on snails closed doors to see if the snail is alive. If the snail is not crawling on the glass or other surface, it can be difficult to tell if it is alive or dead if the door is closed.

Pressing gently, and gently is key, will elicit some reaction from the live snail, or else a spongy lack of response from a dead one.

If they are pushing snail's doors shut when they are open, that's just cruel.. there is no need or reason to do that I know of.

A follow-up:
I found the reason they press the doors in is to make it easier to for the snail to travel. It was put on the instructions they have for packing the snails. I nicely told them that it could harm the snail if pressed to hard or too far.
Thank You all!

Be very very interesting to learn where the information that this practice makes it 'easier' for snails to travel came from, it is certainly not something I have ever heard or read of before, not anywhere.

Healthy snails close their own doors when disturbed, such as when they are picked up, so it's hard to imagine anyone thinking they need help to do that.

And I've never seen any store that I have purchased snails from do this either.. any chance you could ask where the info came from ?

Back
Top Bottom