Apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope that is better

That is a neat snail. It is defiantly not a Cana I believe it is a Colombian ramshorn snail. What kind of filter do you have on your aquarium and how often do you do water changes? Sometimes if the snails don't like the water conditions they will come up to the surface or dig in the substrate.

Hey, I 've been looking for apple snails and can't seem to find any. P.M. me if you can cut a few loose. I will pond breed them this summer.

THANKS

Those type of apple snails get really big. I mean like a whole hand size big. If I had room, I wouldn't mind getting one. You can find mystery snails of all colors in the classifieds here, on Ebay, and on aquabid.com Post a wanted ad and someone will have some available.

I hope that is better

I have one of those it's definitely a colombian ramshorn like said a member of the apple snail family. They do like burying into the substrate, mine does it into my sand I've had mine for three years really like these guy's :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey, I 've been looking for apple snails and can't seem to find any. P.M. me if you can cut a few loose. I will pond breed them this summer.

THANKS

Not sure if your talking to me but I breed them now and depending on your location I might be able to give you some.

Has anyone every seen apple snails chew on each other's shells? I have 3 adults in my tank and I notice the babies like to climb up on the parents shells and chew on them. It's not like the snails are deprived of calcium because there is a big cuddle bone in the tank and I always feed them different kinds of food.

Baby snails will climb on the adults and sometimes inside the adults shell. Are they doing any harm to the adult? Adult snails build up bio film and algae on their shells and the babies may be eating that. Snails are always tasting and trying to find food. Try adding some veggies or some type of calcium supplement and knocking the babies off of the adult near it. Once a few find the food the others will show up.

There not inside the shell they are just acting like little jerks and bothering this one apple snail. They get plenty of nutrients from the different kinds of food I feed them but I think maybe there using this one snail to get around the tank faster.

Ordinary antacid tablets should not have made the water cloudy. It stays on the bottom of the tank. If your water got cloudy I would suspect a bacterial bloom. I add Tum's or calcium supplements twice a week in all my tanks and have never had a cloudy tank because of this.

Do your apple snails parachute? I have mine in a substrate-less fry tank and I worry about their shells cracking or getting fractured.

All mystery snails like to parachute across the tank. As long as the water is deep in the tank no damage should occur.

Back
Top Bottom