Apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have 3 large adult apple snails and 20 babies. I would like to talk to people about how they care for them and if they have any problems with there shells.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388782826.854906.jpgthis is my huge adult apple snail. I started breeding these guys and I finally have 1 baby that has reached full size. This apple snail Is only 1 years old.

I feed mine tums for calcium as well as supplement the water with Kens liquid calcium. It is for saltwater but its safe to use at 1/8th dosage for fresh. Boy do they love the tums though:)

I've never tried tums for my snail's I'll have to give them a go. I feed mine algae wafers, cucumber, blanched kale and spinach. I use cuttlebone or calcium blocks :)

53 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

View attachment 214933this is my huge adult apple snail. I started breeding these guys and I finally have 1 baby that has reached full size. This apple snail Is only 1 years old.

Great looking snail! Is it a cana? I've just bought one and it's got huge in two weeks, looks just like yours.

Great looking snail! Is it a cana? I've just bought one and it's got huge in two weeks, looks just like yours.

It is a Cana. I had problems with 1 of my apple snails shell's when it was a baby. When it was a baby it climbed out of the aquarium and fell on the carpet. At the time it's shell was very soft so it cracked when it hit the carpet. I started feeding it cuddle fish bone, romain lettuce, and raw shrimp and it's shell is finally starting to heal very well. This is it what it looks like now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388794472.070003.jpg

It is a Cana. I had problems with 1 of my apple snails shell's when it was a baby. When it was a baby it climbed out of the aquarium and fell on the carpet. At the time it's shell was very soft so it cracked when it hit the carpet. I started feeding it cuddle fish bone, romain lettuce, and raw shrimp and it's shell is finally starting to heal very well. This is it what it looks like now. View attachment 214959

The difference in its shell is amazing. I hope mine grows as big! Any tips :)

The difference in its shell is amazing. I hope mine grows as big! Any tips :)

My advice is just feed them a variety of food and make sure they don't have any predators in the aquarium. The apple snails get really large so make sure to keep them in a large enough aquarium. The smallest tank you can have an apple snail in is 20 gallon. You keep them in smaller tanks but they won't get as large and it's not nice to stunt there growth. I would recommend keeping all of your apple snails in your 53 gallon.

Did you know that Cana apple snails are illegal to sell or trade across state lines? They will also eat plants and cause a lot of damage to the environment if they get out. They get huge. You can feed them calcium tablets made for humans, Tum's or similar antacid tablets, eggshells, and calcium rich foods. The extra calcium will raise your PH some. Babies eat the same as the adults. Have you tried to blanch the greens before offering them to the snail? That is what I do and my mystery snails love spinach, dandelions, and most other greens.

My advice is just feed them a variety of food and make sure they don't have any predators in the aquarium. The apple snails get really large so make sure to keep them in a large enough aquarium. The smallest tank you can have an apple snail in is 20 gallon. You keep them in smaller tanks but they won't get as large and it's not nice to stunt there growth. I would recommend keeping all of your apple snails in your 53 gallon.

Cheers

Did you know that Cana apple snails are illegal to sell or trade across state lines? They will also eat plants and cause a lot of damage to the environment if they get out. They get huge. You can feed them calcium tablets made for humans, Tum's or similar antacid tablets, eggshells, and calcium rich foods. The extra calcium will raise your PH some. Babies eat the same as the adults. Have you tried to blanch the greens before offering them to the snail? That is what I do and my mystery snails love spinach, dandelions, and most other greens.

It depends on we're you live if it's illegal to sell or trade apple snails. I live in Canada and I don't think there is any law preventing apple snails from being traded or sold. My aquarium store gets imports from around the world and they never have apple snails but they do have mystery snails. Once in a wile I will sell them a batch of apple snails and they don't hesitate to buy them so I don't think there illegal here. I think it's weird they can have tum's. Do you think they like the fruit flavoured ones?

The US is adopting tougher laws on non native species because of all the problems they have caused. Cana snails and mystery snails are all apple snails. There are at least 6 different species of apple snails kept as pets. Cana's are just not good in a planted tank. They will eat live plants, whereas, mystery snails will not if they get enough food in dead plants and other sources. My snails love the fruit flavored ones and I have seen others say that as well. Even my fish and shrimp eat the fruit ones. I have to break them into pieces and scatter them through the tank so everyone has a chance at some. I would love to have a huge snail like that if it didn't eat my plants.

I also have an apple snail but I think it is a baby compared to the picture!
I'm new to aquarium life so I'm looking for advice. Will tums or calcium tables hurt the other fish? I bought some alge pellets today, was that a good move or should I just give it cucumber and calcium tablets. I have a fresh water tank.

The Tums will not hurt your fish. My fish and shrimp eat them when I give them to the snails. Your snails will eat most veggies, as well as, algae and plant wafers. You need to blanch the veggies by boiling some water and dipping the veggies in for about three minutes or less. I harvest dandelions and wild greens for mine when the weather permits. In the summer they eat the greens i grow in my garden.

I personally don't use tums because there suppose to be for humans and they could have chemicals in them that aren't healthy for the snails. I use cuddle fish bone that is usually sold for turtles and birds. My snails can chew on it when ever they feel like it and I know it's all natural. If any knows more about tums like if it has any harsh chemicals in it can you please tell me I am interested to see if it's actually healthy for snails.

Tum's and such have been used for a long time by other snail keepers with no problem. All they contain are calcium, a little sugar, and some food safe coloring. Nothing that could hurt a snail. You can also use human calcium supplements. Some say the vitamin D added ones could be bad but I, and many others at applesnail.net, have used them with no problem. You can get calcium supplements without D added. I have also seen recopies for snails that use Plaster of Paris to make blocks. Over on applesnail.net they have a lot of recipes for snail food and calcium supplements. If you cannot find cuttlefish bone, you can use egg shells. Just crack the egg, rinse, and throw the shell in the tank. You do not need to remove the membrane inside the egg shell. The snails and fish will eat it.

Back
Top Bottom