Are these planaria, or something else? Shrimp tank with photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Small (30G) shrimp tank with about 10 red cherry shrimp. It is a fairly new setup.

At the first shrimp's release of eggs (not sure if just before or just after, they were hiding) I decided I had too course of a filter cover and replaced it. Four or five small shrimp eventually showed up, the rest may have gone out in the filter, or... anyway, four or five healthy babies.

Since then I think at least two releases of babies have occurred (I had originally 4 females and 1 male -- had two males, one died very early, I think from damage in transit).

Anyway... no more new shrimp. I know they aren't going into the filter, the only other thing in the tank are ramshorn snails (or so I thought), and those are all very tiny.

Yesterday I saw some very small creatures that look like planaria. Maybe. They are flat, fast crawling on the glass (very fast for their size). BUT they are very small, and seem to lack the arrow shaped head.

I've read that planaria are carnivorous, and variously that they can, and cannot harm shrimp.

Can anyone confirm what these are?

And if they might account for loss of babies RCS?

These are very high magnification. The snail in the first is a newly hatched ramshorn. As an estimate from the pixel dimensions I would say they are about 1.25mm long, and a quarter millimeter wide. Tiny.

i-8dD8tSb.jpg

i-bnwPdQC.jpg

i-zSTLBCj.jpg

Those are all the same creature by the way, in different degrees of stretched out. My size estimate was for the first, longest one. The bottom is probably half that length.

They are generally in one corner of the tank, a very unremarkable corner, and maybe half a dozen. I crushed a few before thinking that if really planaria I was making the situation worse.

I have seen none interacting with shrimp, seen none eating anything, but I hear that planaria can attack young shrimp and molting shrimp.

But lack of the arrow shaped head makes me wonder if these are something else?

I've seen these in my shrimp tank as well. I have planaria in my tank and these are slightly different. Paler/white, ovoid at times, no pronounced arrow head. I am thinking it is some type of flatworm or fluke.
I have not treated the whole tank with de-worming medicine but I do "spot treat" the planaria with Excel/Glutaraldehyde. Pretty much kills on contact. I don't go overboard with it since it is the shrimp tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've seen these in my shrimp tank as well. I have planaria in my tank and these are slightly different. Paler/white, ovoid at times, no pronounced arrow head. I am thinking it is some type of flatworm or fluke.
I have not treated the whole tank with de-worming medicine but I do "spot treat" the planaria with Excel/Glutaraldehyde. Pretty much kills on contact. I don't go overboard with it since it is the shrimp tank.

That's good to know, I have plenty of Metracide. I have not used it in that tank for the few plants, but spot treatment sounds really easy.

So you don't think these are my problem with no baby shrimp?

That's good to know, I have plenty of Metracide. I have not used it in that tank for the few plants, but spot treatment sounds really easy.

So you don't think these are my problem with no baby shrimp?

I use an expensive plastic syringe (for dosing liquid medicine to infants) attached to some air pump tubing.
I have not seen them anywhere near the baby shrimp which are typically on the plants and back wall. I have seen planaria swarm pellet food like a constrictor on the substrate. Not saying they are not a threat; just have not witnessed it personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use an expensive plastic syringe (for dosing liquid medicine to infants) attached to some air pump tubing.

I'm set with that from spot treating algae in a big tank:

i-HJV5Fh8-XL.jpg

About $7 in parts with a bit of hot glue. The tube I used is stiff plastic I got at a LFS, the airline I used first is too hard to aim in a big tank while not getting your hands in the water (and in so stirring it).

Those are another type of planaria.

And safe to ignore (I killed several and have not seen more lately, but I suspect they are still there).

Then I wonder what to look for to explain the lack of babies. The females are getting berried, seem to carry them to term (I haven't seen eyes as they tend to hide more, but have seen very large, very loose structures being kept aerated), then... nothing.

I've replaced the filter sponge with something very fine, so am sure it is not that, and the only other thing in here are a bunch of baby ramshorns (as they get big enough to grab I remove them). I assume they can't eat them.

Clear water, very low nitrates (last test was about 5ppm), the adults look healthy and happy and active (and are clearly breeding).

They will eat baby shrimp and freshly molted shrimp. Those are a smaller type, but if there are too many in your tank you are definitely at risk of losing babies.

Back
Top Bottom