Are these snails bad ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bluethumb

Aquarium Advice Activist
It started out with only a couple, and now I probably have hundreds of malaysian burrowing snails. They're all really tiny, less than half a centimeter. They don't cause any problems, and just crawl around. Is there a point when they could be bad for the tank? My water parameters are fine.

They are great little cleaners in my opinion but once you get into the hundreds, it's possible they could start maxing out your bio load depending on the the size of your tank and how many fish you have. Try putting a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight and then in the morning you should have quite a few snails munching on it. Then you can just remove the lettuce and hopefully many snails with it. Another (slower) option is to get some Assassin snails and let them start hunting and keeping the population down. I'd start with some manual removal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I sometimes just out some in a container and bring them to my local store who gives them to their pufferfish and loaches.

Back
Top Bottom