Assassin snail pacifists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xwesx1978

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a huge MTS out break so I went out and bought a bunch of assassin snails and they have yet to kill a MTS. Do they only feed on other snails if there is nothing else for then to eat ?

I have a huge MTS out break so I went out and bought a bunch of assassin snails and they have yet to kill a MTS. Do they only feed on other snails if there is nothing else for then to eat ?

How long have you had your assassins? Also, how large are your mts? It took my assassin snails a few days to get going. They will only go after the bigger mts.

It takes time. You will start to see empty shells in the tank. I started out with 5 assasins and they started eating and breeding. It did take some time mind you for them to get going.

from what I can tell, assassins eat about 1 pond snail/day, spend a day or so digesting, then go hunting for more. Once all the big pest snails are gone, they start eating the little ones, and possibly eat more than one a day when all that is left are little snails.
Also, if you have a fine substrate like sand, assassins burrow under it with just a tube sticking out, waiting to ambush

Back
Top Bottom