Assassin snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott_R

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pond snail infestation, presumably from some plants I'd purchased 5-6 weeks back. I pick them out several at a time when I see them, but there's no end to the supply. I was considering getting an assassin snail or two. A few questions:

1) I have four fully-grown nerites in the tank. Will the assassin snails eat them, too, or are they too big?

2) if they kill the nerites, what can I replace them with that will eat bits of algae and won't be killed by the assassins? I wouldn't normally be so cavalier about the nerities, but low GH in the tank harmed their shells so I don't know their long term viability.... Would shrimp work? I have tetras in the tank, and will be adding corys, and eventually a couple of rams, so I thought the shrimp might be in danger there.

3) with the pond snails eaten, how do I feed the assassins? Trust that the pond snails are fecund enough to ensure a food supply, or drop in some frozen shrimp from time to time?

Just pulled out a half-dozen rice-sized pond snails today... there's no end to them.

23 gallon L planted tank

I don't feed my assassins and they have been trucking along for as long as I can remember. I am pretty sure the snails they eat are continuously pooping out eggs so they are never hungry.

Don't know if they have the strength to drill nerites.

I don't feed my assassins and they have been trucking along for as long as I can remember. I am pretty sure the snails they eat are continuously pooping out eggs so they are never hungry.

Any issues with assassin snail over-reproduction?

I bought a single assassin for the same reason. I have small nerites that it hasn't bothered but from what I've read they will go after any type of snail, regardless of size.

As far as algae you could try Amano shrimp. I keep a few in my community tank with a ram, peacock gudgeons, and kuhli loaches.

When I was researching assassins I found this video helpful:

Thanks for the very informative video. If you buy just one (to avoid a population problem), might it be a pregnant female that will then lay fertilized eggs, resulting in population issues, or are the eggs fertilized after being laid?

Back
Top Bottom