Assassin Snail with damaged shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just done a water change and noticed one of my assassins has what looks like a small chunk taken out of its shell.

The only thing I can thing of it that has been breeding quite a lot recently. Maybe it's companion plays a bit rough? Is this likely?

On a plus note, I quickly spotted 5 baby assassins and a couple more eggs. God know how many more there are.

I don't have a ton if experience with them, I've had 4 for about 2 months, some of their shells are kind of beat up, chipped at the point, some split underneath? I don't know if they fall off plants or what, they're pretty active so I wouldn't doubt it, mine have been latched on to each other for days but no eggs or babies, what gives? My Lfs sells em for $4 each! That'd be at least 2$ in trade!

If there's an opening in the shell you can seal it with epoxy. Otherwise just ignore it.

Actually I would not do that. Epoxy is very irritating when it's raw and takes too long to cure, even the five minute kind takes too long. Raw resins might burn the snail's flesh if they touch the flesh. Crazy glue is better, it dries so much faster,but again, you can't get it on the snail's flesh, as it is also very irritating to raw flesh.

Most snails can heal most damage to their shells, if it's not too severe. Larger holes are often 'sealed' by the snail in time, using calcium to harden the skin under the damaged area.

If there is a large hole in the body of the shell and the snail appears to be in trouble, if you can find a piece of shell from another snail, even another species, you can try to glue a patch over the hole. But you must be very careful, not allowing any wet glue to get on the snail's body. Use a tiny tool, toothpick or such, and make sure the snail is dry, and the patch is dry, before you try this. But mostly it's not necessary. Chips in the growing edge usually close up, though there may be a visible defect in the shell, it usually doesn't bother the snail.

Unless holes are quite large, or the snail is not feeding, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

*shrug* I've never had to do it myself but I've seen multiple people use epoxy with no ill affects to the snail. The patch idea is a good one though.

Ohh boy, I've just been taking extra care to make sure they get some good food and all is well! Good to know though, I use super glue on my own wounds so why not?!?

Ah cheers. Luckily it's just a chip and no crack or hole.

Back
Top Bottom