Aussie FW Prawns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Gday guys,

Just showing off a couple of new acquisitions from me...

Fish tank by insane phototography, on Flickr

They are all Handschins River Prawn, Macrobrachium handschini

AQUAGREEN Fact Sheet

They are very interesting, and making the shrimp that haven't evolved big claws yet wish they had... And the fish are staying well clear after a little bit of pecking order establishment...

Unfortunately the big guy didn't make it, just couldn't cope with the shock, so everyone in the tank ate well that day.

Would love to hear of anyone else keeping these. They definitely do not belong in a peaceful tank, however I am trying to establish a food chain ecosystem in mine, and they seem to fit in well.
(except last night I caught one sitting up the top of the tree in the tank and trying to fish with his pincers!)

Cheers,
Dan

I had something similar back in the mid 90s.
I kept it in a 60g with a Jack Dempsey and a Rope Fish.. It started out at like 3" a little bigger than the Jack and half the size of the Rope. It lived for two+ years until I went hiking in BigSur and brought home a wild caught crayfish... My bad!
The two must have had a disagreement that night cuz my FW Prawn was 20ft away from his home... Missing a claw, and his life...
Easy to feed and didn't require any special attention from me.
Was a cool bluish color after he molted...

Back
Top Bottom