Austin.b's 7G Rimless Shrimp Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coursair said:
You could always add in other kinds of Java Fern. I like Narrow Leaf and Windelov looks cool also. I have all 3 kinds.

That's true, I think I'll look for some once I have money again lol do you happen to know which kind I have now? I can attatch a closer pic of one I'd you'd like.

Thanks Tina!

Here are some updated pics

ForumRunner_20120511_180914.jpg

ForumRunner_20120511_180926.jpg

ForumRunner_20120511_180939.jpg

ForumRunner_20120511_180950.jpg

ForumRunner_20120511_181006.jpg

I found out that the substrate I am using lowed my pH to about 6.8, then using a little peat, I brought it down to 6.5. Instead of doing rilis or yellows, I'm now contemplating CRS and CBS. However, matching the PWC waters pH will be a PITA lol whar do you guys think?

Austin.b said:
Thanks Tina!

Here are some updated pics

I found out that the substrate I am using lowed my pH to about 6.8, then using a little peat, I brought it down to 6.5. Instead of doing rilis or yellows, I'm now contemplating CRS and CBS. However, matching the PWC waters pH will be a PITA lol whar do you guys think?

Hey the tank looks amazing. What substrate is it? Cause I want it. Lol.

One little counter to that might be a little 1 liter bottle with that substrate in it and a little crushed coral. Put your water in there 24 hours in advance.

With shrimp tanks you don't have to do many pwcs, nor do they have to be large.

The tank looks awesome!!

Looks like windelov/crested java fern to me. I got truckloads of the stuff. Make sure the rhizomes are all above the substrate. IME they rot pretty quickly. Tanks looks nice.

MABJ said:

One little counter to that might be a little 1 liter bottle with that substrate in it and a little crushed coral. Put your water in there 24 hours in advance.

The tank looks awesome!!

Thank you!:) its called fluval stratum. Theres two types, there's one specificaly for plants, then there one made for shrimp. I have the shrimp one.

You mean put the 1 liter bottle in the bucket of new water 24 hours in advance? The bottle having the substrate and some crushed coral?

Mumma.of.two said:
Looks like windelov/crested java fern to me. I got truckloads of the stuff. Make sure the rhizomes are all above the substrate. IME they rot pretty quickly. Tanks looks nice.

Yeah, I have all the rhizomes above, thank you!:)

Sake said:
Just blame MABJ that's what I do. Anyways tank looks real nice! Make sure you take a few pics in a month so I can see what it looks like down the road.

LOL. Thaaaankks buddy.

Austin, yeah, I'd suggest giving that a shot. If you create a small place which semi replicates your environment, the PH should be similar. You'd be able to use that water then replace it. No critters, but maybe a plant if it's near a window :p

Or you could just do smaller water changes. If the pH isn't that big of a difference I wouldn't worry about it all that much anyhow. It's not a bad idea to have a container for aging water, though, a lot of people prefer doing it that way with shrimp. It shouldn't be too hard to do with that small of a tank, either. Just keep it aerated and use it as needed.

MABJ said:

The tank looks awesome!!

No no....we want low PH for CRS/CBS. No crushed coral.

I just plan to top off with Distilled water. And water changes will be part tap/part Distilled and that should work for the OP's tank also.

I'm using AquaSoil, same idea as Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

And yes, looking at the new pics you do have Windelov Java Ferns.

No no....we want low PH for CRS/CBS. No crushed coral.

I just plan to top off with Distilled water. And water changes will be part tap/part Distilled and that should work for the OP's tank also.

I'm using AquaSoil, same idea as Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

And yes, looking at the new pics you do have Windelov Java Ferns.

WOW. Thanks, Tina. I completely had what it did backwards. :eek: Good save.

maxwellag said:
Looking good! Where did you get that tank? I want one! :)

Thanks! I got it from my LFS for $25:)

Actually, last night was the yearly 50% off sale, and this tank and a few other rimless tanks were available. This tank was $8, and some nano rimless cubes were $7 lol needless to say I spent Iike $90...I won't be eating lunch for like a year. Hope this wasn't too off topic:)

Quick update: when I had my adult female in my other 10G she gave birth. For the past 2 weeks, I've been pulling baby shrimp out of that tank and acclimating them to this tank. These baby shrimp survived scarlet badis, celestial pears danios, and an uncovered filter intake. Last count, I had about 28 shrimp in this tank. I'll try and take pics right now.

Back
Top Bottom