Austin.b's 7G Rimless Shrimp Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all!

I finally got another tank, it was long overdue;) lol this one is going to be planted with low light plants like Anubias nana/petite, java fern, java moss, and possibly hornwort. I won't have any fish, strictly a shrimp tank, SOWLP (shrimp only with live plants) thanks for that acronym Coursair. I just set up the tank tonight. I'm going to seed the tank with a filter cartridge from my 40 gallon, so hopefully an instant cycle. Im not too sure what shrimp I want to have in there yet. I was leaning towards pumpkin, rili and PFR's, or yellows. When I establish a good stock, I will sell them here on AA, but that will be a while. Tank specs are below, thank you for taking a look!

Tank Specs:

Substrate: Fluval Stratum (for shrimp)

Filter: Marina Power Filter- Slim S20

Heater: Marina C25

Lighting: 24W power compact bulb

ForumRunner_20120505_023017.jpg

ForumRunner_20120505_023024.jpg

The tank so far, still looking for that one driftwood piece lol oh, and the jar to the left does not have anything in there except for some daphnia.

Well, I'm cycled:D

ForumRunner_20120505_031632.jpg

The ammonia and nitrate is coming out kinda dark in the picture, probably because my room is pretty dim at 3:19 in the morning lol

The tank looks good so far! I love it:). I cannot wait to see how this is going to turn out. So what kind of shrimp are you thinking about getting?

AquaKai said:
The tank looks good so far! I love it:). I cannot wait to see how this is going to turn out. So what kind of shrimp are you thinking about getting?

Thank you so much!! I can't wait either! Lol I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to pick out some driftwood:D i chose red rili's and PFR's (painted fire reds) PFR's are the same things as RCS, but have been bred to have a dark ruby red coloring. It's the highest quality RCS basically lol

Wait! Austin, the Rilis will interbreed with the PFRs! Don't get both :x.

Beautiful tank though. I love it. I thought for sure your next one would be a leap into ADA tanks :p.

MABJ said:
Wait! Austin, the Rilis will interbreed with the PFRs! Don't get both :x.

Beautiful tank though. I love it. I thought for sure your next one would be a leap into ADA tanks :p.

Oh yeah, I know lol I was on TPT the other day and came across someone who mixes both to try and improve the rili's red coloring. Should I try it? What do you think?

Thanks! Yeah, I've been wanting one for a while, but my LFS just put this one on sale for $25.

Austin.b said:
Oh yeah, I know lol I was on TPT the other day and came across someone who mixes both to try and improve the rili's red coloring. Should I try it? What do you think?

Thanks! Yeah, I've been wanting one for a while, but my LFS just put this one on sale for $25.

The tank is a great deal for that price!

I don't think you should try, I doubt it'd be successful. You can always cull for color

MABJ said:
The tank is a great deal for that price!

I don't think you should try, I doubt it'd be successful. You can always cull for color

Ok, i dont want to risk it then lol I'll cancel the order and only have the rili's in there. Thanks!

ForumRunner_20120505_160706.jpg

First planting. Later when I find a nice DW piece, I'm going to attatch them to it. What do you guys think? I like it already! Lol

Message Super_Blueberry. He has some great Great lakes driftwood he isn't using and basically charges shipping for.

The tank really does look wonderful. What an awesome light...

MABJ said:
Message Super_Blueberry. He has some great Great lakes driftwood he isn't using and basically charges shipping for.

The tank really does look wonderful. What an awesome light...

Awesome! I'll message him later, thanks for the heads up.

Thank you! The light was a steal too, it was $40 lol

Update!

I added some more java fern and some baby RCS. I will either add some yellows, red rilis, or blueberrys in after about 3 weeks. I'm trying to let the tank mature a little first. What do you guys think about all the java fern? Should I leave all of them in, or should I just have about 4 larger java ferns spaced out?

ForumRunner_20120507_183001.jpg

ForumRunner_20120507_183015.jpg

ForumRunner_20120507_183038.jpg

ForumRunner_20120507_183053.jpg

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Sweet! I like the baby java ferns and one BIG one would look sweet ;) haha

That would look awesome! I remember seeing an add on TPT for a HUGE java fern...off to TPT! Lol I just shipped your brother these java fern's baby's lol

Back
Top Bottom