Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beverlygcox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
These guys (golden apple snails) are just hatched and about the size of a BB!

Also have about 20 clutches of Blue Ramshorn snails!

Attachments

• image-3667232346.jpg
    image-3667232346.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image-158770941.jpg
    image-158770941.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 142
I have found homes for most of the apple snails. Waiting on the blue Ramshorns a to hatch before I start looking for homes for them.

Can you get snails neutered?

beverlygcox said:
I have found homes for most of the apple snails. Waiting on the blue Ramshorns a to hatch before I start looking for homes for them.

Can you get snails neutered?

No you can't neuter snails, for apple's just remove the egg sacs. Nice snails!

shellyx said:
No you can't neuter snails, for apple's just remove the egg sacs. Nice snails!

Lol! I know shellyx! That was my way of trying to be funny about the situation! Unfortunately, I am going to have to abort some soon.....mamma laid another clutch last night! All those darn snails do is eat and reproduce!

Last edited by a moderator:
beverlygcox said:
Lol! I know shellyx! That was my way of trying to be funny about the situation! Unfortunately, I am going to have to abort some soon.....mamma laid another clutch last night! All those darn snails do is eat and reproduce!

I knew you were joking lol my male apple constantly tries to do the business with my other male! Had to separate him :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also grab a couple of assassin snails to do the job. But, you should probably feed the tank less. How often and how much do you feed the tank?

creic38 said:
You could also grab a couple of assassin snails to do the job. But, you should probably feed the tank less. How often and how much do you feed the tank?

This tank only "had" a male beta and snails in it, so the beta got fed 3 pellets a day. Moved the beta to another 10 gallon recently and haven't fed the "snail tank" since. I randomly put a slice of cucumber or leaf of kale in occasionally but only leave it in a day. I dunno, there is a lot of algae in the snail tank though. Ironically, it is the only one of my 4 tanks with an algae problem, and the only one with an LED light. All others have t5 HO fixtures.....

Oh....I'm planning on setting up a tank for a puffer soon so i think that will take care of the overpopulation problem

Oh man, you may need to go the predator route then. Assassin snails.....especially of you want to stay snail only tank. If your tank is big enough, then a puffer is a great idea.

creic38 said:
Oh man, you may need to go the predator route then. Assassin snails.....especially of you want to stay snail only tank. If your tank is big enough, then a puffer is a great idea.

Wouldn't the assassins multiply?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe they need brackish water to hatch the eggs. Don't quote me on that.

My tank is also having an influx of babies, but i want them as im breeding ramshorns for food for my Oscar, and want more Malaysian trumpets for my other tanks... here are pics of some of the babies...

ForumRunner_20121017_200645.jpg
2 baby malaysians. Just a reference of size... that is fine grain sand beside them...

ForumRunner_20121017_200659.jpg
An hours old ramshorn.

Assassin snails do not need brackish water to reproduce. You do need a male and a female though. Some other snails can change their sex as needed but assassin snails can't. I have approximately a couple hundred of the little buggers and I started with 6. They make little square shaped sacs with one egg per sac. They reproduce more slowly than pond/ramshorn/mts but reproduce they will.

Nitwig, I need some assassin snails for my tank. I have tons of MTS running around. I don't want to wipe out the population, but I do want to keep it at a level that can be maintained. Would you be willing to sell and ship me some?

Back
Top Bottom