Baby Black Devil Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Krabs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had 2 Black Devil Spike snails, and they live in my 40G Fresh water tank. From what I understand, they are only supposed to breed in Brackish water. However, it looks like they may have somehow bred in my fresh water. I checked the salinity, and it read 0.000

I have rabbit snails that breed in my tank as well, but I'm 90% sure its not a rabbit.

has anyone heard of brackish water inverts being able to breed in freshwater?

tank is at

72*F
380 PPM GH
8.3 PH
Fully cycled

I do have mts in the tank (hate them so much)

I know for sure it's not an mts. I could post a video of the snails.

Is it against the rules to show a video?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Cool. This should be interesting to see

https://youtu.be/XCq4apyq3tE

Also, I know the tank is a bit messy. Lot of live bearing fish that were born and I'm trying to find them new homes at the moment.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is interesting about the snails. Tylo and FAUNUS ATER. So indeed seemingly not matching up to breed, although they look very similar.

There can be different color sports/morphs of creatures, perhaps this is the case.

I know I have had all kinds of colors of Mystery snails when they have bred, including colors which were neither parent. Genetics cause variables.

Will be curious as well if there are others with similar experiences.

i an attest to that. I have Jade Mystery snails that were born in my tank. Never had that color before.

As for this, Tylo and Faunus are similar, so at a young age its so hard to tell.

Hi, I keep both tylos and lava snail's in my tank. Over the years I've had a lot of baby tylos which range in color, some with markings on their face and some with out. But never have my lavas bred, one thing is these guy's are actually from the nerite family requiring salt for the babies.
The snail in your vid too me resembles a 2 year old tylo , same as you the bumps clearly seen on it. There is so many variations of the tylo around that they can inter breed with each other creating a new strain.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon shrimp and snail tank

The nerite you say? wow. didn't know what.

come to think of it, what are the species genus family order class phylum kingdom of rabbit, BDS, MTS? seeing as they are all cone shaped, I wonder at what point they break off from each other.

Here's a pic of my 4mths old baby with mum who is an orange the same as dad, you can clearly see the baby is a different color body and shell. So it can happen 1461497029412.jpg

actually, doing some searching on google images, I'm seeing a number of Faunus Ater that have bumps.

Do you think the hard line vs bumps might be determined by sex?

edit - okay, so here is the proper ranking

Black Devil Spike

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Mollusca
Class: Gastropoda
(unranked): clade Caenogastropoda
clade Sorbeoconcha

Superfamily: Cerithioidea
Family: Pachychilidae
Genus: Faunus
de Montfort, 1810
Species: F. ater

Rabbit

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Mollusca
Class: Gastropoda
(unranked): clade Caenogastropoda
clade Sorbeoconcha

Superfamily: Cerithioidea
Family: Pachychilidae
Genus: Tylomelania
Species: T. towutensis

They split off at Genus. Thats too far apart for interbreeding right?

edit - yup, Genus is the cut off. family and higher can not interbreed.

I definitely wouldn't think the faunus and tylos could inter breed 5 years I've kept them and have only seen baby tylos.
Yeah they are from the nerite family I never knew that when I bought them! I really find my snail's very interesting lol and it's nice to see someone else the same ☺
Not sure about the bumps and the sex of them, but you never know it could mean that.

Last edited:
Yup. Just confirming that scientifically with the exact info on them.

I love snails. They can be just as wacky as fish.

And ya never know what might happen with certain things. I think its fair to say everyones tank is different, on a chemical and biological level just on water parameters. What might not happen in one tank might happen in another.

That's why I was curious to see what might or might not be going on in mine.

although referencing the above info, rabbit and BDS are in the same family, I think BDS and Nerite might be the same genus technically.

Yup. Just confirming that scientifically with the exact info on them.

I love snails. They can be just as wacky as fish.

And ya never know what might happen with certain things. I think its fair to say everyones tank is different, on a chemical and biological level just on water parameters. What might not happen in one tank might happen in another.

That's why I was curious to see what might or might not be going on in mine.

although referencing the above info, rabbit and BDS are in the same family, I think BDS and Nerite might be the same genus technically.

Yeah everyone's tank is different I know all about that!
I thought they were from the same family somewhere down the line, very interesting creatures!

Back
Top Bottom