Baby Blue Crayfish Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnKC

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to set up a tank for rearing baby crays down the road. I have a 20 long in storage and figured I would use that. I have a pair on the way and figure it would be prudent to set up ahead of time just in case.
I've read that once the female is berried she should be separated until she drops the young. What is the best type of filter, substrate, plants, etc.? Thanks for any help.

I did a bit more research and it seems that a sponge filter may be the way to go as far as filtration. I also read somewhere that someone used larger diameter drinking straws bundled to provide multiple places for the tiny crays to hide and prevent cannibalism.

No suggestions for substrate type or live plants? Of all the research I found nobody covers these two subjects.:(

since they are babies i would do a bare bottom (bb) tank, with some fake plants so that its easier to clean and keep water params perfect.

Thanks, I was thinking bare bottom too but I thought I would need some type of live plant for an additional food item. Maybe java moss or something?

should work. will help keep water quality up 2, and give little tiny micro critters a place to live and hide, as well as babies a place to hide/eat... good luck!

Back
Top Bottom