Baby Ghosties!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night my two berried females' eggs hatched! Right now about fifteen healthy ghost fry are visible in my ten-gallon tank, on the walls and swimming (more like 'bobbing') in the water column. After I made sure there were no more eggs or fry on the mothers, I caught them and am now acclimating them to my community tank. There's still a docile cherry shrimp in the ten gallon with the fry, and unfortunately there is nowhere else to put her at the moment, because my bettas are RCS murderers. So far, everything seems to be going fine with the fry, but I do have a few questions:

1. Do cherry shrimps actively hunt down fry and eat them? Are my baby ghosties safe?

2. I've read that fry don't need supplemental food in established tanks. My tank has quite a bit of algae and little 'specs' floating around in the water column. Should I still get some infusoria growing for them so they don't starve?

3. How long will the fry stay in their larval stage before turning into miniature adults?

3. How long from miniature adult stage until I can safely introduce them to my community tank? (Houses bettas, ghost shrimp, otocinclus, and amano shrimp)

4. Only a few fry are visible at any given time. How many baby shrimp should I expect from two females?

Thanks for the help!

Well, my third berried female looks live she's about to hatch her fry too. Is it safe to house fry that are born 24-72 hours apart together in the same tank?

Do you have pics of the shrimp? Generally the sharp angle abdomen shrimp babies survive and grow in brakish water conditions and the curved abdomen shape like a cherry shrimp can grow in fresh. There are so many varieties of these shrimp, kind of called the same thing.

Always interested in new baby shrimp!!!

If the Cherry shrimp is fed you should be alright.

You can get some leaf litter going/so it can begin degrading in the tank to get the microscopic aufwuchs critters going.

How long has this tank been set up?

Thanks for replying, Autumn! I posted this a few weeks ago, so now my ghosties have hatched and are out of their free-swimming stage. It seems like things worked out pretty well for the fry, although I think I must have lost several (that or they're hiding REALLY well!) because I can't count more than twelve shrimp at a time. This is kind of strange because there was a total of three batches of fry in that tank. My ghost shrimp all decided to cooperate and have their babies 36 hrs apart so I could put all the fry in the same tank without fear of cannibalism. One interesting thing though is that my GS haven VERY angled abdomens and look nothing like RCS. I read online somewhere that if the GS has tiny eggs like an amano, then it needs brackish water to hatch them? I'm not sure if this is tue or not. (You never know what lies the internet feeds you, unfortunately[emoji53]) Mine, however, had big yellow and green eggs and seemed to do fine. [emoji4]

Nice to hear that as least some made it.

There are so many kinds of these little guys from all over the world that it seems possible that some are adapted to varying water conditions.

I was looking at some called Grass Shrimp which I always thought was a fresh water shrimp which could be in lagoons mixing fresh and ocen water together (with the body of a Cherry/Neo) have an angled abdomen in the North Eastern coast .

News to me!!! This hobby seems to offer unending information in every aspect from FW to SW new nformation all the time is found out /learned about.

I feel like it is a area of knowledge that not too many people know that much about, even experts are not aware of everything. It is a wonderment of differing experiences too. Even more interesting is how we can learn of these things across the entire world so quickly now.

It is quite amazing your Ghosties had these tiny babies and they survived. Exciting!

I assume the cherry shrimp won't "Try" to eat the ghost shrimp babies. They don't eat their own young so they should be ok. Even if a couple get eaten they reproduce like rabbits.

Haven't seen any Cherry Shrimp eating or trying to eat shrimp or fish fry unless it was nearing to dead.

This is so really exciting to know about!

Back
Top Bottom