Baby shrimp, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettylatte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I got a couple ghost shrimp yesterday, and I noticed one of them had a HUGE bundle of eggs. In a panic, I put her in a tiny little fish bowl. I woke up this morning and there were at least 40 (probably more) little almost microscopic shrimp and the mom was still giving birth. What should I do?? I have that bowl and they seem to be doing fine, but it has no heater or filter (I could put a bubbler in.) And how
do you care for them? Thanks!

Are there fish in the tank? Most will eat the tiny shrimp but if you have lots of hiding places and plants some will survive. In an established tank with plants the baby shrimp don't need any special care. They will find food on the plants, substrate and glass. I would also put a sponge or something on the intake for the filter so they don't get sucked up. Congrats on your new shrimp!

Can you post a picture of mommy and baby?

Thanks everyone!! They are actually doing really well in the tiny tank so far. And here are the pics, they are less than 24 hrs old so they are really tiny, you can see them hanging on the wall, most are feasting in some java moss though.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397173958.301379.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397174014.897367.jpg

I did not know ghost shrimp could grow in feshwater! That's cool,)

I did not know ghost shrimp could grow in feshwater! That's cool,)

Thanks! I know for a fact that I'm not doing this right, I'm just using water and moss from my established tank into a 1/4 gallon bowl? but doing 10% water changes daily. But so far I haven't found any dead ones and they have doubled in size in less than 48 hours, so I hope my good luck continues! I can't wait until they can start swimming!

Here's a little update! I'm still keeping up the same routine, and so far, they have been doing great. I'm letting a really thin layer of algae grow so that they can eat it (I heard it's good for them.) And I can start to see their legs developing and they are looking more like adults.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397665839.779198.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397665849.108694.jpg

Awesome! Ghost shrimp are notoriously hard to breed in aquaria because their babies have a larval stage, unlike say RCS which are full shrimpies when born. Congrats. I've heard greenwater aquariums are your best bet, so keep growing that algae! :)

Awesome! Ghost shrimp are notoriously hard to breed in aquaria because their babies have a larval stage, unlike say RCS which are full shrimpies when born. Congrats. I've heard greenwater aquariums are your best bet, so keep growing that algae! :)

Awwh thanks so much! That means a lot! I was just beginning with shrimp and when I noticed the mom was carrying the eggs I put her in a separate tank so that it just had other larvae, and it's been really easy!! I'm just waiting until they can start swimming to put them in the main tank!

Hey so now that the algae film is growing, they are growing really fast with the new food source. Tomorrow is the mark of one week of them being larvae. They have developed legs and they have gotten really good at swimming. When should I turn them loose into my planted tank with guppies?

Also, do they molt? I've been seeing little shrimp skins and their mom would always molt

Back
Top Bottom