bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?

I'm considering getting one for my tank ... I've got one angel, rainbows, dension barbs, and assorted smaller fish such as tetras and otos.

I had 2 and they were cool but demanding. they are filter feeders and mine always perched on the highest rock and opened its fans (they don't have claws or legs like regular shrimp) to catch whatever was blowing out the filter. I tried to put some food in front of the filter so it will blow in the direction of them to eat. Sad story they had to resort to trying to eat off the bottom of the tank. Died a month later. so i resorted to Red cherry shrimp, bumble bee shrimp & Crystal red Shrimp. Ebay is a real good place to get them.

I had one when I was younger as well and it died bc I didn't know I had to supplement it with micro food. They do best in larger, established tanks

Has anyone had any first hand experience with them?

I'm considering getting one for my tank ... I've got one angel, rainbows, dension barbs, and assorted smaller fish such as tetras and otos.

Great shrimp ... I've got two and in the last week they finally figured out they can cling onto the hidden LED's and get current from the output nozzle. They filter feed microorganisms from the water column so an established tank with a mature filter's a must.

For the first few weeks they scrounged on the substrate ... Supposedly not the best sign, but mine did fine. Now they just hang out by the output all day and night. These shrimp don't bother hidding, they're always in the open ... Great shrimp!

I've done a bit of research on them.... but was really debating for some reason. Do they have any personality?

People seem to have mixed success it seems.

jcolon said:
Great shrimp ... I've got two and in the last week they finally figured out they can cling onto the hidden LED's and get current from the output nozzle. They filter feed microorganisms from the water column so an established tank with a mature filter's a must.

For the first few weeks they scrounged on the substrate ... Supposedly not the best sign, but mine did fine. Now they just hang out by the output all day and night. These shrimp don't bother hidding, they're always in the open ... Great shrimp!

What size is your tank

What size is your tank

75gal ... I've had three ... One died the day after I got it so I exchanged. The two I got just hang and eat ... All day .... It's actually a bit botimes today at times watching them ... But they're cool. They had a rather rude shock a few min ago when I did a quick PWC and the water level dropped enough to leave them above the water:eek: It was a sight watching them swimming back and forth trying to get back to that hidden LED ... surrounded by barbs!

I've done a bit of research on them.... but was really debating for some reason. Do they have any personality?

People seem to have mixed success it seems.

Well I can tell you that while it took my Amano's a few weeks to come out more ... They are in a tank full of barbs ... The bamboo couldn't be bothered with hiding. I guess they were too busy looking for food?

Personally, my Amano shrimp have more personality constantly moving around. Happy bamboo shrimp that are feeding well are known to spend days in the same spot ... Usually one with a current .. Just eating away.

Ha! Good to know. I'll probably get one anyway since I've been eying them for so long. Just to have one.

I just don't want to end up killing it!

Have kept them before and currently. Present one has been here for over a year and a half.

Sensitive to poor water. It was almost killed a year ago when I was on vacation and care taker over fed terribly. btw that is how I lost my other two in previous years right after vacations. The fans were damaged from the bad water, but I spot fed him and after a month he molted and has been getting along fine.

Occasionally spot feed when it is crawling around. Use a turkey baster with some crushed flake and ground food (i use Hikari primarily so it comes pelleted, I smash it with the back of a spoon) Mix together with a baster full of tank water, suck back up and spot feed about 1/3rd at a time over a few minutes.

I don't feed the fish the day I do this as there is too much left overs otherwise! The fish really love when I do this! lol

I have one in my 46 gallon community tank. He happily perches up on the top of his branch, which is placed directly in the filter flow. He's a very easy keeper and quite entertaining. Some say they do best in groups. When I made my purchase, I got 2. One died almost immediately but Radar is healthy and happy.

bigbanker said:
Ha! Good to know. I'll probably get one anyway since I've been eying them for so long. Just to have one.

I just don't want to end up killing it!

At close to $10 a pop by my LFS's, you wouldn't want to kill one ... Thankfully for me ... the one that died was replaced.

Back
Top Bottom