Bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tleyton

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I added 1Bamboo shrimp a couple weeks ago and I used to see him hanging on the driftwood or on the plants. I added another one last week so he wouldn't be lonely (lol) and since I have added the second one, I haven't seen either of them. I recently did a rescape so I picked up everything and looked everywhere I can't find them. Is it typical for them to hide so much? Or is it possible they crawled out? They were expensive (IMO) and I hope nothing bad happened to them.

I swore mine was gone for a couple weeks and magically he reappeared. My tank he is in is heavily planted though. His new place to hang out is inside the piece of cholla wood in the tank.

I figured that they are hiding somewhere and they are so camouflaged I probably saw them and just didn't notice.

They are remarkable well able to hide themselves, and if you have wood, they will cling to the underside so tightly, even if you take it right out of the water, you simply might not see them.
I find mine do show themselves, provided they have a decent current to feed in and somewhere to perch so they're in the current most of the time. Either the filter output or a separate circulation pump can provide the current. These guys prefer to filter feed. If you see them picking food off the bottom, they are hungry and not getting enough in the filter feed method. You can try adding Golden Pearls in the 5-50 micron size, green water, bakers yeast dissolved in water with a pinch of sugar and let stand for ten minutes before using, or flakes ground to the finest possible powder to help supplement their diet.

So they get the most chance to get these foods, I turn off the filter for a half hour, but leave the pump running, to push the food around the tank enough times they get most of it. Then put the filter back on.

You don't have to shut the filter down, but it does help them get all the food they can from the water column.

If you get a few more, I find that numbers help them feel more confident and they'll show up more often. Mine spend most of the day sitting on a sponge tied to the side wall, feeding in the pump current I have aimed at it.

I had one that I thought had jumped out months ago. Found him when I tore the tank down just hanging out lol

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Fishfur I just got two of these guys do you think I could feed them vinegar eels???

They eat more algae based water column stuff, but im pretty sure they can eat snails if they get really hungry.

20long hitech/10gal shrimptech

Back
Top Bottom