Bamboo shrimp bad molt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterUtalknbout

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
TL:DR bamboo shrimp lost the foremost section of her right leg during molting, will she die/bleed out?

So i recently bought a bamboo shrimp for my 20gallon tall and she has been acting strange. I thought she was just feeling out the tank for a week before she set up shop and started fanning (which she did albeit for a short time) but she qasnt mov8ng around the tank. well i think i now know why, she molted! HOWEVER! During her molt she lost the foremost section of one of her front legs. My concern is, i know tarantulas can die this way from bleeding out (happens to males after they reach sexual maturity and their sex organs dont molt away properly) will my Bamboo shrimp die?

They should regenerate a new leg after another molt or 2.

The issue at hand will be what can you do to increase nutrition and minerals into the diet to have the shrimp molt without issue.

What are you feeding?

What size tank and what is your filtration?

These shrimp feed off of food in the water column.

Do you know what your pH, GH/Kh and if possible TDS numbers are?

Keeping filter feeders can be a challenge.

You want a clean tank without excess food going through the system - yet your filter feeder wants and requires this free floating food to survive.

A couple ideas would be to make sure you know how your tap water is parameters wise.

This helps you to get a general idea of what the Bamboo shrimp need for you to get them the correct conditions.

How many tanks do you have? If you have other tanks what sizes and inhabitants.

What are the inhabitants of the 20T tank the Bamboo shrimp is in?

Thanks Autumnsky, i was waiting for you tbh lol. This is my second bamboo baby, the first one lived for almost 2 years before my centerpiece betta bit a huge chunk out of her causing her to die, no more agressive fish. I do infact know about the GH and KH and im buying kits today to check my levels, but i supplement my plants with equilibrium, idk if thats the cause of the issue or if its maintaining my GH at good levels. I use mineral treated R/O just because i dont trust my tap. I do have her feeding out of the water column and i just discovered that she is only active at night! I have a nocturnal bamboo shrimp lol. So the issue is being investigated, i just really wanted to know if she was gonna die or not. This is my second bamboo shrimp and she is already a brat compared to the other one lol. Lastly, the inhabitants of the 20 gallon are 6 cardinal tetras, one sparkling gourami, and 9 lampeye killifish along with 2 amano shrimp and the bamboo. I have only 1 other tank, but its a 10G shrimp breeding tank for red rili shrimp

You mention she likes the night...do you have a fairly bright light? It sounds good that you already have a good background.

My last Bamboo shrimp disappeared after Clown Loach got a fair size. :(

No more for me with my tanks set up like they are atm.

I used powdered Hikari First Bites until I found high quality powdered baby shrimp foods. Would always do a big powdered feed then a huge pwc after a number of hours. To keep the excess nutrients out of the water column. In my tap water we have really low KH so I would supplement the water column with Kent's super buffer dkh.

Once after going out of town for a few weeks, my house sitter crazy over fed my fish (probably when I mentioned I was heading home) and I came home to 2 hours or so of water changes and tank and filter cleaning of mucky soup.

My Bamboo shrimp had big time damage to the fans, almost all gone from ammonia burn. It took months for them to come back and very careful and extra target feeding. At least 2 molts maybe 3 before it looked normal again. But it did indeed come back, living a good long while after that.

Back
Top Bottom