Bamboo shrimp ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my lfs emailed me today saying they received some bamboo/filter shrimp. I was asking them a while ago about them and they are a great price 2 for 7$. I stocked my tank without them in mind. I am almost fully stocked but I think I have room for a couple. All my water tests are perfect for months. Here is my current stock any compatibility issues anyone sees?

70 gallon planted:

10 harlequin rasboras
2 GBRs
2 Bolivian rams
5 boesmani rainbows
1 butterfly pleco (small rehoming in a couple months to cousins 250 gallon)
4 oto cats

Please if anyone has experience if love to hear, I've done my research online and it seems fine but I always like real world experience.

I'd remove the rainbows because they are active feeders and could present competition for food.

I'd remove the rainbows because they are active feeders and could present competition for food.

But the bamboo shrimp are filter feeders they wouldn't compete with rainbows for food

That's true but filter feeders can be difficult to care for. What are you planning on feeding him.

The fine flake particles (have a good current) and the small plant parts that seem to break away. From what I've seen there should be plenty to feed 3-4 in a 70 planted

Please if anyone has experience if love to hear, I've done my research online and it seems fine but I always like real world experience.

If your tank meets the following criteria, your good to go.

1. Is the tank cycled and at least 4 months old?
2. Do you have either an HOB or canister filter?
3. Do you have plants, rocks or DW tall enough for bamboo shrimp to perch on?

The first criteria is the most critical as they filter feed microbes that colonize in the filter media and then are outflowed into the tank. They will actively find where the flow is and will spend the VAST majority of their time in one area fanning the water.

Due to their size, the fish in your stock should leave them alone. In my barb tank my two are always out in the open without any harassment.

Well it's yes to all questions I think they will be good in the tank, I have a lot of tall plants rocks and a tall piece of driftwood

I got three in a 55g planted with angels and a RTS. They are doing well on flakes and plant matter from my well grown plants. The shrimp have really grown too. Couple bigger angels tried to pick on one and the shrimp can take care of themselves. It hasn't happened again.;)

Sorry I am no help but I wanted to say take pics of the shrimps when/if you get them! I've been wanting to get some. They are for a great price over there! Here the ONE I've seen was 13$! Went back next day and he was gone. Haven't seen any since.

Just an FYI. All bamboo shrimp are wild caught so there is no telling their age, so be prepared for deaths.

I gave up on them mainly for that reason. I had a decent one who filtered under the HOB outflow. I also used to spot feed him Hikari 1st Bites.

When they're happy they will have a nice reddish tint. If you see them picking thru the substrate then they're not eating enough.

They are really cool though.

I had 4 bamboo shrimp. As each molted they were eaten.
I have one left. He hangs out behind the intake filter, this way food comes to him. If he stays there he may yet survive. They look good crawling on the rocks.

One thing I have noticed about my shrimp are they love moss balls as bits of flake food get stuck on them and they come along and clean them up brilliant little guys :)

Hope this helps

Sorry I am no help but I wanted to say take pics of the shrimps when/if you get them! I've been wanting to get some. They are for a great price over there! Here the ONE I've seen was 13$! Went back next day and he was gone. Haven't seen any since.

I felt the same way, last time I saw them around here was way over a year ago and also gone the next day. I should be getting them on Thursday

I had 4 bamboo shrimp. As each molted they were eaten.
I have one left. He hangs out behind the intake filter, this way food comes to him. If he stays there he may yet survive. They look good crawling on the rocks.

What was your stock? I am hoping I have enough hiding places and caves to protect them during molting.

image-4256570457.jpg

This was taken a while ago the plants have filled out

I really didn't think I had fish that would eat them, considering they were 3 inches in length. for all I know they are hiding in the corals and I just can't see them. I found the molted shell but no remains. so MAYBE they could be still alive.

my stock
I have 1 firemouth (he could eat one)
1 fancy tail guppy (not sure why, lol)
1 parrot
3 tricolors
2 irridescents
40 glows
8 danios
4 silver dollars
8 barbs (albino and black)
3 angles
2 plekos
2 pictus
1 ralph

:) that's all I can think of at the moment

I am picking them up tomorrow. My lfs called me that they had a huge run on them today and sold about 100 but since they know me so well they put 4 of the best aside for me. They are great at customer service well keeping the regulars happy

I am picking them up tomorrow. My lfs called me that they had a huge run on them today and sold about 100 but since they know me so well they put 4 of the best aside for me. They are great at customer service well keeping the regulars happy

Yay! I'm so excited for you! Your LFS sounds soooo amazing. I wish we all had one that caring and good. Don't forget pictures when you can! They are so neat.

Here are 2 pics while they acclimatize. I got 4 and i was lucky they kept them for me these were the last ones.

image-985701766.jpg

image-3607058250.jpg

I promise to get better ones once they are in and comfortable

Here are 2 pics while they acclimatize. I got 4 and i was lucky they kept them for me these were the last ones.

I promise to get better ones once they are in and comfortable

Very nice! They have a nice color to them too :)

Back
Top Bottom