Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

behaviour of auger snails

I was given a few baby auger snails for my baby biorb a couple of years ago. I know they have multiplied because sometimes, usually at night, up to a dozen appear at once sometimes quite a few more.

During the day I guess they hide in the substrate but its tricky to see any of them.

Tonight, it looks like every single one of them, from babies to those up to an inch long, have all come out at once. I'd estimate at least a 100 of them.

My biorb is cold/fresh and they share with a chinese golden algae eater quite happily. I feed with algae wafers. I'm not sure if it's the fish, snails or both that keep the algae down but I don't have an algae problem at the moment!

What I wanted to know is, why have they all come out at once? I'm in the UK, the room they are in has the heating thermostat right next to their tank and it's a fairly constant 19 degrees +/- a degree so I can't think of any environmental changes that might have caused it. They don't just come out in the dark and disappear when the lights come on,

What's occurring!

Old 09-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Check the temp and the water quality or O2. Dead big snail or a fish perhaps?

They usually do this when there is a water quality issue. They do not lie, something is up. Usually it is a water quality issue. And it is urgent or they wouldn't be coming up.

Do a couple of pwc and see them go back down to the lower areas. You can also remove a bunch if you can get ahold of them keep them in a vase or small tank maybe someone would like them for pets or food. They poop quite a bit

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

The room temp is a constant 19 to 20 c.
No dead fish but although I can't see them there must surely be some dead snails with this population over a couple of years so I'll do some pwcs but I don't understand why the sudden appearance en-mass.

I quite like having all these snails and I might even add some other types and have a snail tank. The auger snails are a wee bit boring on their own.
Old 09-25-2017, 01:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Red Ramshorn snails are really fun to watch and very colorful - see my signature pic!

So would these Auger snails be the same /similar to Malaysian Trumpet Snails aka MTS? There are different patterns on the shells and colors as well.

Orange or Yellow Dwarf Rabbit or Poso snails are really adorable but some say might eat some links of plants.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #5

I tried to send you a photo but the insert photo button asks me for a url and my photos are on my pc, not online. If I can work out how to post an image you might be able to ID them.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #6

Aha - i think I've cracked it. Some photos of the snails in question are attached hopefully.

They have pretty much all disappeared now but they had been pairing off so i wondered if they had come up to mate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0318.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	304030   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0319.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	304031  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0321.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	304032  
Old 09-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you do a pwc?

I think they probably do the mating wherever they want, and I have had innumerable amounts of babies over the years with out any traveling up the glass.

Mine will wander around in the moss or in some plants eating up tiny particles of food after feeding.

There have been many times I have kept snail bowls or added a few shrimp in too, fun!

This is a fun thread with lots of info and ideas! Take a look if you are still considering something like that.
Planted Bowls!

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-27-2017, 05:39 AM   #8

Thanks Autumnsky. Did you see the pix? Are they definitely auger snails?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

They look like Malaysian Trumpet to me.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Malaysian Trumpet Snail .:. Melanoides tuberculata .:. Freshwater Aquarium Snail Species Information Page

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
behaviour, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com