Berried/Saddled Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay folks quick question, my berried shrimp seems like it is also saddled, is this normal? Is this a sign she may drop her current eggs? Just curious, it seemed somewhat odd to be saddled while still carrying eggs is all. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Okay folks quick question, my berried shrimp seems like it is also saddled, is this normal? Is this a sign she may drop her current eggs? Just curious, it seemed somewhat odd to be saddled while still carrying eggs is all. Thanks in advance for your answers!

that is perfectly normal, it means you are doing everything well and they are at their peak of health and breeding. Spring is here, and season/weather affects shrimp greatly too.

it is normal that a berried shrimp to hatch all her eggs with saddle and within 1-3 days can become berried again.

Congrats:D

Thank you for the reassurance and welcome to AA glad to have ya here!

May I ask what saddle means? Lol

saddle, if you ever rode a horse you should know what is a saddle.

It just looks like a saddle right behind the shrimp's head.

thus called saddle. Where the ovaries are

about your eggs dropping. this usually happens when too many males vs females, or sudden great change of water chem in your tank

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on my water making sure nothing gets out of whack until she has these babies. I don't have to worry about male vs female ratio, I only got 1 male had to go buy a few more from the LFS just to make sure I had more lol.

Yeah I know but I wanted to be prepared just in case something happened. I'm overly cautious sometimes lol.

First time mothers often drop eggs. Don't stress. As they get larger and more experienced more and more eggs hatch. My first berried RCS started with 30 eggs. Ended up with maybe 15 and hatched 3 babies the first time. These days if I see a large molt in the tank I know a female had babies. Right after they molt they put out pheromones and the males go CRAZY trying to find the freshly molted, ready for breeding female. Next time you see her she may be berried.

Yep, that is all true:)

i find the same thing, inexperience mothers tend to drop more eggs then usual.
but if males are pestering the females, they will drop eggs too no matter what age or experience.

Well there's all kinds of molts and saddled females in my tank so hopefully everything is going well and the males are of the straight sort o_O

Oh boy, this is all so confusing :p I'm just going to let nature be nature.

Okay so I seen a teeny tiny lil fellow this morning sitting on a red plant leaf. Only way I could see the lil guy was if one of the bigger ones swam past it and startled it, it was sooooooo small. o_O Could only spot one, hopefully there's a few others I just can't see, heck I have a hard time seeing all my adults with the plants I have lol. Oh and now I'm watching my males they are going NUTS. Won't stop swimming all around the tank I think they're lookin for a bit of action woo hoo!

Sake said:
Okay so I seen a teeny tiny lil fellow this morning sitting on a red plant leaf. Only way I could see the lil guy was if one of the bigger ones swam past it and startled it, it was sooooooo small. o_O Could only spot one, hopefully there's a few others I just can't see, heck I have a hard time seeing all my adults with the plants I have lol. Oh and now I'm watching my males they are going NUTS. Won't stop swimming all around the tank I think they're lookin for a bit of action woo hoo!

Yaaaaayyyyy!

I love finding my shrimp. It's fun to watch them. I was removing duckweed and arranging what little salvinia didn't die off, and I jumped a little. My shrimp was attacking near my finger. It was so cute. He just wanted the food before I took it away. Awwww. So funny that he wasn't scared of me at all.

Back
Top Bottom