Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best beginner inverts?

What are the best easy freshwater inverts? I have a 5.5g aquarium, sand substrate, with a betta in it. I was wondering what the easiest inverts would be to keep as I have never seemed to be able to keep them (alive) for very long. (the fish all grabbed it.) I have an extra produce clip from my SW, would that hold food for a nerite snail? I also really like shrimp...

Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Caveat: Your betta might end up snacking on some shrimp. I'm sure that there are some bettas that don't mind some tank mates; snails seem to do ok with them. Hope this helps and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

It does help, but my betta seems kinda oblivious. I also have trouble actually getting food to shrimp without the betta getting it! And snails never seem to do well in my tank. I have an extra produce clip from my marine, could I feed the snail lettuce with that?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

So your betta already hangs out ok with shrimp? Cool, congrats. Throw in low light plants for the inverts, like a moss ball or one of those mosses stuck on a piece of driftwood or coconut shell. That should give something to pick at/ graze on while your betta does his thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 04-12-2016, 04:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I had a betta with an orange CPO crayfish for years. In my opinion, they're the best companions. The bettas, even the most aggressive, learn not to tangle with the CPO and the CPO won't catch the betta. Provides both of them stimulation. Easy to feed: floating pellets for betta, sinking pellets for cray. I don't know why more people don't recommend it.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, my betta has never been around a shrimp. That I know of, anyway. (got him from a petsmart because he's a perfect halfmoon tail while flaring) He has been in with a guppy before, did fine. I will post a pic of him if I can figure out how to do it... but I will try! Oh, wait... if this is the time for cruddy Star Wars jokes... 'Do or do not, there is no try.'
Old 04-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry, I didn't mean to post that this current betta is OK with shrimp. This is one I had a while ago. I was just trying to say in a previous post that I had trouble feeding the shrimp.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I had a beta fish I had a ghost shrimp with him. I fed mostly bloodworms as the ghost shrimp and the beta will both eat them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tried 5 ghost shrimp & a nerite snail a couple weeks ago and only the snail is still alive i seem to kill shrimp a lot...

Tags
beginner, invert, inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com