Best place to buy freshwater shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dyl1234

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best online retailer to buy freshwater shrimp?Preferably one that doesn’t charge an outrageous amount for shipping. Please post your experiences with ordering. (Hope this is the right place to post this thread)

I have purchased shrimp online and had generally good results. Right now with severe freezing weather, one might need to pay over night shipping to insure their shrimps safety, and be ready to receive them as they probably won't last in the cold sitting in the post box or on the porch.

One major thing to check is the size shrimp they want to send you. I have been send newly born and week old shrimp and for the cost I was paying it was not a great deal. Also if they are full grown /older they can succumb to stress more easily.

1/4 to half inch sizes are great usually are not much stressed from a positive shipping experience.

Often it is better and you will end up with a better cost of purchasing from a local breeder. No shipping and water parameter usually similar to your own.

Take the time to check up on what others are saying about the shrimp survival rates and the quality the online seller is sending them.

Sometimes a lfs will order them for you. Again no shipping!

Are you wanting cherry shrimp or something harder to find.

Like autumn mentioned, if you go to Petco or PetSmart even, and ask them to put in an order of what you want they usually will. Just tell them before Thursday if you want them the next week.

Petco has been the one which offered and I have received the requested fish and inverts. It needs to be a better level store. Not sure what they exactly mean other than they get first dibs on items and the lower level stores get little to none of what they ask for.

I am aware one store can order and get almost anything (providing it is available) and my local store is not at that level and barely can ever order anything. They DO order and are passed over and never get it because they aren't on that level of fish shipments. ???

And if you order, I would always ask for a few more than you really want because of deaths during transportation. They don't make you take them all if you feel like it isn't as healthy or whatever reason you have.

Interesting. I never heard that. The gal who puts in stock orders at my local Petco said to let her know what I wanted and if their distributor had it she could get it. At the time I was looking for more common fish like Cardinal Tetras and Cory's. It's my understanding that Petco owns LiveAquaria now and it's their distributor. They got a decent selection of fish. It's good for me living in Nevada because they ship out of California.

i would suggest Flip aquatics, Lrb aquatics if ordering online have heard many good things about both..

I've bought shrimp twice off of eBay, different sellers, with success and no DOAs. Both threw in an extra shrimp just in case, and everything was very well packed. Seems that high rated sellers know how to pack everything for transport, so it comes down to the price that's right for you.

Back
Top Bottom