Black mystery snail has cracked shell tip :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RebelBeat14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, today I purchased two black mystery snails to help with keeping my tank a little cleaner, and I realized after they were all set and in the water that one is cracked and has not moved since he sunk to the gravel. The other has been chugging along and exploring just fine, but this one is missing the pointy tip in the center of the swirl and has just been sitting alone since they went in (about 4 hours ago). All my fish, my frog, and my shrimp are doing fine as well as the other snail, but I’m concerned about this one. I think he was sold to me injured as I cannot find the missing piece of shell and it definitely didn’t happen in the transfer because I placed him gently with my net. Can mystery snails regrow this piece? I’m worried about his lack of movement as well considering the other snail has been actively exploring his new surroundings. I added an image so hopefully it uploads. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 8811E885-62DF-4A48-BD06-0C6D2C56F33E.jpg
    8811E885-62DF-4A48-BD06-0C6D2C56F33E.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Mystery snails sometimes don't move, for a long time. I'd pick it up from the gravel just to be safe, if he retreats back into the shell then it's still alive.
If you have decently hard (clean) water it should grow back just fine. If you dont you can try adding cuttlebone to the tank. You can find it in the bird section of pet stores. Also make sure you supplement their diet with some veggies like spinach.

Hi, thank you.

I just stocked my tank for the first time yesterday after letting it cycle for a day and a half, so the tank is definitely clean so hopefully he heals fast. I tapped his foot and he closed right up so I know he’s alive. The huge difference in their activity levels was just concerning to me (the other snail has already traveled the tank 3 times, he’s pretty quick for a snail)

Since I’ve returned him to the tank I think he caught wind of the algae pellets I put in for them so he’s finally moving a little bit to go munch on those. If I put veggies in for them should they be cooked or raw? Thanks again!

Ok so what size is your tank? Did you add beneficial bacteria to it or just let the filter run for the day and a half? How many fish did you add?
If you didn't add beneficial bacteria then your tank did not cycle. If you added to many aquatic creatures at once it can destroy your tanks balance. You may get a bacterial bloom and need to do a bunch of smaller water changes to fix.

I used bacteria starter, water conditioner (stress coat+), and I cycled it with a dose of melafix because it was recommended to help avoid infection in case any animals I purchased were ill. I have the two snails, a few shrimp, my frog, and a few fish. The woman who helped me at the store said that I should be fine to add them since I’m not over stocking.

Ok I always panic when people say that their water is clean because they bought fish a day after setting up.
They problem isn't stocking it's adding too much at once. But just keep the water clean with weekly changes and you should be fine.
Just a word of warning, your frog may eat the shrimp depending on the species. If you got amano shrimp you should be fine. Ghost or cherry shrimp and there may be a problem.

Yea, I asked her about the ghost shrimp because Philbert has always been a muncher. He is always fine with pellets and blood worms but live food is his favorite. Luckily they had some ghost shrimp that are much too big for his mouth and he has yet to bother them

Back
Top Bottom