Blue crayfish breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misfitstimm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally have both a male and female blue crayfish. The female is a few weeks older. They actually both molted this morning! Any advice for when they are larger about breeding them?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392554768326.jpg
    1392554768326.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 1392554806495.jpg
    1392554806495.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 93
Great looking crayfish! As far as encouraging breeding, the best thing I've heard is just keep them separate for a period of time (a day or two or more, whatever works for you), then reintroduce them and they'll get busy really quick. That's how I do it and I've been quite successful (successfully bred blues and whites). But after they've mated, separate them again or else the male will just keep having sex with her over and over. He'll keep removing his old sperm plug and putting a new one in. So that doesn't work out.

You can also keep them together in the same tank, provide good hiding spots for them, and eventually hope to see some berries on the female. Other than that, it's not that hard in my opinion. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice. Gonna give it a shot with just letting see what happens then. Have them in a 55 gallon with lots of rocks and plants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom