Breeding nerites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone has success breeding nerites?

I was thinking about either taking eggs from one of my tanks that has several nerites and putting them into something like a 2.5 gallon brackish tank or just putting 2/3 nerites in their.

If anyone has has success breeding them what salinity was it in, what temperature and anything else that may be helpful/have an impact.

Also, whats the cheapest way to go about making a tank brackish? Never had a brackish or saltwater tank and this would be a side project that i want to keep as low budget as possible.

Thanks,
-Exigenn

Nerite snail

You can use pretty much whatever salt water mix you like, you'll need a hydrometer to get the correct salinity. RepTerra makes calcium carbonate sand that'd be pretty much perfect to use as substrate, it's around $6 for a bag. It's very soft and, of course, loaded with calcium ;) I've used the 1.5g $20 kits + heater successfully for bettas and an aquatic hermit crab. I can see it working fine for your application. Check LFS to see if they have any cured, seeded live rock to help with the biofilter. It'll also hold down any partial sheets of pressed seaweed you might use for food in addition to bits of algae wafer or shimp pellets. Keep an eye on params as the article suggests and you should have a happy nerite explosion!

Back
Top Bottom