Calcium for my giant snail..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabrinarichard

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I did a bit of research and I'm not sure what the best source would be.. In my aquarium I also have guppies, platies, killi fish, mollies and danios.. I wouldn't want to harm my fish.. Of course the easiest solution would be tums.. But I'm not sure I want to risk it, sounds a bit weird.. But then again I learnt about calcium yesterday! Here's a picture of my little/big guy... I have had him about. a week...ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392653816.905933.jpg

Tum's will not hurt anything in your tank. I use them all the time. I have mollies, guppies, neon tetras, two types of shrimp, and three types of snails and use them. Antacid tablets are calcium carbonate. Most are made out of crushed oyster shells. My fish and shrimp eat them too. You can use drywall plaster or Plaster of Paris too. I also use calcium supplements. Any type of sea shell or bone will work. The supplements and antacid tablets are easier to find.

I wouldn't use anything for human consumption that has added dyes and flavoring. More natural options would be cuttle bone, crushed oyster shell/coral , blanched organic spinach.

Also I would shy away from anything that isn't meant for human/animal consumption ( plaster of Paris, ect) because there's literally no way of telling what it may contain in addition to it's listed ingredients.

1. Fill a large pot with water, bring to a boil and then add your fresh spinach.

2. Blanch the spinach for 20-30 seconds, until they turn a brilliant green.

3. Remove spinach from pot and add to a bowl of ice water to halt the cooking process.

4. Squeeze out the excess water and you're ready to feed it.

I use fruit flavored antacid tablets all the time. Food safe dyes are fine. All the suggestions I gave are from the applesnail.net site and are used by serious snail keepers with no problems.

You just dip the veggies in boiling water for a few minutes to blanch. You do not have to do this though. Many people feed raw veggies to their snails and the snails eat it.

I use fruit flavored antacid tablets all the time. Food safe dyes are fine. All the suggestions I gave are from the applesnail.net site and are used by serious snail keepers with no problems.

You just dip the veggies in boiling water for a few minutes to blanch. You do not have to do this though. Many people feed raw veggies to their snails and the snails eat it.

If you use it then more power to you, like I said above I personally wouldn't. I was simply providing the OP with natural option, all of which I use.

True you can feed raw veggies but they tend to float. I prefer food I know will sink and will stay in the feeding dish.

Back
Top Bottom