Can any fish live with a breeding colony of shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! I want my new 50g to be a shrimp tank, but my dad thinks they are too small to be the only thing in there. I will do my best to heavily plant the tank, but I wanted a colorful/noticeable types of fish that will not eat the shrimplets. I know Otos are fine, what about cories and Cardinal tetras?

I would love some suggestions!

I just want another cool shrimp soo bad, leaning towards the Blue Velvet shrimp for the most part. I want to breed and then sell them, but I know that most bigger fish would consider even the adult shrimp to be food, but... I dunno. I really love the Cardinal and Neon tetras, so that'd be great if they would work. Just want a few general suggestions.

Thank you!!!

Neons may work, cardinals won't. Some cories will, the smaller the better. You could also look for boraras, CPDs, and other "nano" fish. If you mix multiple varieties of shrimp, make sure that they aren't capable of interbreeding or they will end up worthless. Good luck!

Bristlenose plecos go great with shrimp. I put 11 CPD's in my cherry shrimp tank a few months back and I think they may be snacking on some of the baby shrimp. It just doesn't seem like they are multiplying as fast as they used to. The bottom of the tank is covered with christmas moss and driftwood, so they have plenty of places to hide. The CPD's aren't getting all the babies, just some.

Back
Top Bottom