Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can anyone tell me what kind of stail this is?

As I'm cycling my new planted tank I notice that I got some hitch-hikers. Are these snails okay to leave in my tank or are they going to hurt my plants? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #2

Whoops here's the picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snail.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	239298  

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just a normal pond snail, I have a few in mine, they eat algae and won't grow much bigger than that, population control is another issue =P
Old 06-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #4

I have been wondering the same thing since we also just had these show up - I think these were on the java fern as eggs? Now I can't tell if they are eating the java or if the java just isn't doing well? The rotala seems fine and thriving. I don't mind the snails - kind of exciting except I feel bed that they are in there during cycling...hopefully they won't take over....
Old 06-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #5

I mean I feel bad, not bed...silly autocorrect. Though I am tired too....one more thing about the snails - once we have fish will they eat them or do we need assassin snails? I want shrimp though - do they eat shrimp?
Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

There are a few fish that will consume snails, however, some are best in a species only tank and some get too large for most smaller tanks (puffers, clown loach, respectively).
I would not worry about them. Try not to over feed your fish. They will not harm shrimp.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know about not worrying about them.. They are pretty harmless towards other fish, but they can become a nuisance if not taken care of soon, as they reproduce faster than rabbits! You might get an assassin snail to consume them once your cycle is complete. For now, if I were you, I would be taking some slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini and putting them in the tank to catch the freeloaders. It won't get all of the snails, but it will help with the population some while you wait for the tank to finish cycling. Just take the cucumber/zucchini out and remove snails and plop the slice back in the water. You will want to cull the snails so that they don't have to suffer too much. Hope this helps a little.

Tags
tail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com