Can assassins escape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just noticed my new assassins having no difficulty getting where ever they please, do they/will they leave the tank??

So far as I know, they don't leave the water, but some snails do. Nerites are the ones most noted for it, often they'll sit on a tank edge for quite long periods of time, but they are in no danger as a rule and nearly always go back to the water safely.

Mystery snails of course leave the water to lay eggs, and have been known to fall off in the effort of laying, if the spot they find is a bit precarious. But assassins usually stay in the water, I've never heard of one climbing out, though many snails will climb to the water's surface if the water conditions are poor.. either because the oxygen is better at the surface or to try to escape ammonia levels that are too high.

So would them climbing to the top be a definite indicator if poor water quality? Do they do this in search of food?

It CAN indicate poor water quality, but one snail climbing to the top doesn't necessarily mean anything at all. If in doubt, test the water to be sure. Assassins prefer eating other snails, but I am not sure how they hunt. If it's by smell, I'd expect them to follow the scent of other snails. If they hunt by sight, I'd expect them to be moving a lot, looking for other snails.

If they hang at the top and don't leave it, I'd test the water to be sure there isn't any problem. If no problem, might just be an odd ball snail. They don't often have many problems, so I tend not to worry too much about snails, unless I see damage on their shells or they have not moved from one place for more than a day or so, in which case I'll check to be sure they are alive. Nearly always are alive, btw.

It just dawned on me that the mts go to the top and hop on my floating plants! I'm guessing that is why the assassins are up there so much! Seems as though a game of cat and mouse is unfolding here, man this stuff just keeps getting better and better! Pest snails? Get assassins! Have assassins? Probably spend more time starring at them than the fish you got the assassins to protect !

MTS also go to the surface to let their babies loose, and at first they float on the water tension, being so tiny when they're first released. So that might what attracts the assassins too.. easy meals.

Malaysian trumpet snails are live bearing and go to the surface to release their young.

Back
Top Bottom