Can I combine these shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to pose a question to the expert shrimp community. I have 15 RCS. and am planning to buy 15 white, blue and yellow shrimp for my 10 gallon nano.

I know these can mate and the babies will be brown/grey and as some people say "ugly". How do I stop that from happening so that my tank is not filled with ugly shrimp.

If that's not possible what do I do with all those ugly shrimp. I would hate to just flush them. I have no other fish to feed them to.

My goal was to have 20 or 30 brightly colored critters scooting around the tank. Is that possible and if so HOW?

Thanks
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would like to pose a question to the expert shrimp community. I have 15 RCS. and am planning to buy 15 white, blue and yellow shrimp for my 10 gallon nano.

I know these can mate and the babies will be brown/grey and as some people say "ugly". How do I stop that from happening so that my tank is not filled with ugly shrimp.

If that's not possible what do I do with all those ugly shrimp. I would hate to just flush them. I have no other fish to feed them to.

My goal was to have 20 or 30 brightly colored critters scooting around the tank. Is that possible and if so HOW?

Thanks
Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not an expert here...
Not sure if you can prevent crossbreeding. You can always sell off the culls that don't make the cut. Or try a nicely colored caridina species.

You cannot stop them breeding with each other, which means the babies will mostly be brownish or colourless. What you might do is pick one colour of Neocaridina, then get some Caridina propinqua, aka Sunkist shrimp. They are bright orange, can't cross breed, and in fact, need salt water for their larvae to survive. So you wouldn't get any orange babies.
Then you could get some Babaulti shrimp. They come in a few colours.. green is a nice one. Have live babies, like Neos, but can't cross with Neos.

So you'd have at least 3 colours, two of them could produce babies like themselves and all like the same water conditions. Babaulti and Propinqua are the same size as Neos too.. so you could get red or blue or white Neos with the orange and green. Some Babaultis change colours too.. you might have a couple of colours with them, but as they are not selected colour morphs, the babies will not be wild coloured but like the parents instead.

Back
Top Bottom