Can I Have Invertebrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Another Fish Guy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone!!

I got to thinking today...my tank only has fish in it. I've been reading threads with members having snails and shrimp, etc...and was curious to see if I could have something in my tank?

I currently have a 60 gallon community...no live plants.

Any ideas?

You could get some mystery snails or rams horn snails, you'll want a lot of plants if you were to have shrimp. But the snails would be fine. Also if your tank is pretty big and your fish are fast, you could get a crayfish or two. But you may lose a fish or two to them.

Prefer not to lose any snails lol. I do have a lot of fake rock though for shrimp to hide in.

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try ghost shrimp but most of the fish in your tank will eat them. If you rely want shrimp I would advise keeping them in a separate tank.

What fish do you have? Maybe try some amanos they're a good size.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What fish do you have? Maybe try some amanos they're a good size.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My current stock includes:

11 Black Skirts
8 Black Neons
8 Neons
5 Cherry Barbs
5 Bloodfins
2 Corys
1 Common Pleco
4 Zebra Danios
2 Blue Pearlscale Angels

have you ever treated the tank with copper-based meds?

Good thing to know.

Bamboo or Flower shrimp, filter feeder shrimp usually hang out where there is good flow. If you have a spot like that with some DW or rock for it to hang onto that would be good. Please do a little more learning about them if you decide you are interested. There are previous threads with info here too.

Some look like this and some don't have as strong looking front legs, they must come from different areas. Often at the lfs they will look tanbk like the second pic

60074-albums11380-picture65254.jpg

Just came from the lfs, pale and no color
60074-albums11380-picture65409.jpg

Just make sure you have stable water parameters. That is most critical for shrimp especially. Maybe think about 1 or 2 types of Live plants to add. Amano shrimp love to pick around at live plants. Even a Marimo Moss ball or two...or three!

"Vanilla" or White, or "Snow White" Crayfish
60074-albums11380-picture66039.jpg

Or Mystery Snail, Ivory with a pond snail going for a ride, lol
60074-albums11380-picture51091.jpg

they can lay Eggs which look like this
60074-albums11380-picture50814.jpg

Have fun, inverts are kinda my favorites!!!

The tank has fortunately never been treated with anything. It's been up and running with fish for a few months now. I still plan on adding some more fish to build out my schools...so I wouldn't get a shrimp now since the parameters are going to be up and down until I'm done adding fish. I'm thinking more for the future.

Hi friend angelfish will eat shrimps like ghost shrimp especially if theirs not a lot of hiding spaces for them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom