Can I raise kH without raising pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly Malone

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I desperately need help figuring out how to keep my Red Cherry Shrimp alive.

I have a nano tank that's been up for about 8 months. It's approx 5 gal bowl, probably 4 with the decor, substrate. Sponge filter, heater, lots of plants. It's got 6 Chili Rasboras and 6 RCS (although I've purchased about 17 over the past 5 months I've had them in this setup).

I knew I was losing shrimp to a molting issue most likely, so I started feeding shrimp veggie sticks with calcium and dropping in pieces of the Wonder Shell to increase mineral content.

Since the tap pH was 7.6/7.8, I did put driftwood in at the beginning, but the pH would plummet after a couple days, so I finally just bagged it and left it high. The Chilies don't mind it, but I did want to lower the pH a bit closer to their breeding level, so I added peat and it's been stable at 7/7.2 since then. For the water changes, I added a verry small amt of pH regulator (regulates to ph of 7) so that the new water wouldn't be too far from the old pH.

After adding the last 6 rcs just before Christmas, and losing 2 a couple days apart (that I found) and only finding 6 total yesterday (whereas I've purchased 15-20 and there have been shrimplets at different times over the past 5 months), I thought there must be something going on with the water hardness, so I took a sample in and the gH was 17, but the kH was 3 in this tank. I bought the test kit and tested all my tanks and my tap when I got home.

Tap: pH = 8, kH = 5, and gH = 10
Shrimp tank: pH = 7.2, KH 3, and gH of 15????
(my other tanks tested at gH of 12 and kH of 5, 6, or 7, except for one that was at Kh 2 or 3 and it's also got peat in it)

So, First of all, it's weird that the kH is soo low compared to the gH.
But, since the 2 with peat in it are the ones with the softer water. I should take the peat out. HOWEVER, since that tank also has Chilis and I would really like to get them into breading condition, is there ANY way to raise the kH without raising the pH??? I hate to separate out my Chilies and my RCS because I think they look great together in their bowl! So, I'm looking for any viable alternatives?

Thanks in advance and for reading this long question, which I hope I've posted correctly, this is my first time here (I think).

Thank you both for weighing in.

Yes, I mentioned I'm using Wonder Shell as well as Calcium shrimp pellets and have taken out one of the peat bags. So far, the pH has not risen but neither has the kH. Calcium Carbonate/Limestone and other rocks that fizz will raise pH. As will Potassium Carbonate.

I'm investigating alternate ways of raising kH that won't raise pH. I've heard of using Baking Soda. Thought I might test that out on water removed from the tank.

But, still researching other methods.

I'm hoping I can come up with something that works, because I really like keeping these 2 species together. The Chilies just hover near the shrimp and eat the particles that come flying up!

I've heard baking soda won't raise ph as quick but we use it for the pool to adjust ph and kh (works fine there :) ).

Baking soda might not raise pH quickly, but raising pH is a reason people add it to their tanks.

Any chemical that is a carbonate- and baking soda is sodium bicarbonate- will raise your kH.

Thanks anyway folks. I know I saw something about how to do it online, before I knew I'd need the info, I'll keep looking.

Hi Molly, Did you ever find a solution? I am faced with a similar situation.

I'm sorry to say I sort of gave up and am sitting at 3 and just generally keep my pH at around 7.2-7.4. But, my pH in the winter is 8+ so I am still looking. Still having molting issues, but not as bad.

Thanks for letting me know. If I find anything in my search I will post it.

Back
Top Bottom