Can snails get or carry ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Random Fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Title says it all but I have one mystery snail in my tank and was wondering if it can carry ich sense I have an ich outbreak in my tank right now. If so, how can I treat my snail without killing it in order to put him back in there ich-free?

Snails can carry ich as it can attach to most surfaces. I've used Seachems Paraguard to ich in a community planted tank that had nerite snails, didn't seem to effect the snails at all in my case.

Snails can carry ich as it can attach to most surfaces. I've used Seachems Paraguard to ich in a community planted tank that had nerite snails, didn't seem to effect the snails at all in my case.

I used rid ich plus but it says it will kill the snails. I have to get something or do something in order to get the ich off him before I put him in my tank

Snails can not contract ich. There is the possibility that it could be caught in its shell or in the water but its unlikely.
Where is the snail and how are you treating ich?

Snails can not contract ich. There is the possibility that it could be caught in its shell or in the water but its unlikely.
Where is the snail and how are you treating ich?

I put it in a cup with water and I'm using something called rid ich plus by kordon

Keep it quarantined in something bigger than a cup for at least two weeks. For the future I would suggest using the heat method to treat ich. It's plant, fish, invert and BB friendly.

The problem is that I don't have a heater but I might get one. Is it recommended to have one in an aquarium?

It is recommended to have one. They help avoid temperature fluctuations that can be stressful or deadly to fish. If your house has central heating and is a constant warm temp then you can get away without one. When purchasing one make sure to get an adjustable one.

It is recommended to have one. They help avoid temperature fluctuations that can be stressful or deadly to fish. If your house has central heating and is a constant warm temp then you can get away without one. When purchasing one make sure to get an adjustable one.

The medicine says to add more every 24 hours, with the same amount, no more no less. However I'm afraid if I put more it will kill my fish. Should I put it as instructed or put nothing in it?

If that's what the instructions say then follow them. Most medications are only active for 24 hours so redosing is needed. You can do a water change before dosing if its needed.

Back
Top Bottom