Caridinas PH Discussion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting a new topic on PH. Since I started the Taiwan Bees hobby I am having lot of issues. Lost many shrimps because of my mistakes and some for mysterious reasons even after water parameters were perfect. I didn't have successful breeding because my pH was 7 and shrimps were not settled in nice.

I use Distilled water reminilized by Sl Aqua Blue wizard. I found the culprit responsible for high pH which were some rocks hidden inside pearlgrass I had. I removed those rocks and now my pH is drooped to 6 which is very nice but I am going to add Indian almond leaf in my tank. Will add one nano leaf. I am now worried that if it may drop pH too much.

1) Can I boil it and if to boil then for how much time so it can release most of its tannins. I want pH not less than 5.8.

2) Nano leaf by dennerle will be small but shall I start with half leaf or one leaf? Whay you say? Please help

Dude.. just leave the tank alone. Stability goes alot further than perfection. You have 0 tds water and a ph of 6. Leave it alone.. don't do a thing. Feed them and do small wcs every month of youre not reminerizing.

Dude.. just leave the tank alone. Stability goes alot further than perfection. You have 0 tds water and a ph of 6. Leave it alone.. don't do a thing. Feed them and do small wcs every month of youre not reminerizing.
I don't have 0 Tds. My TDS is always between 130-145. I am not telling you the pH of distilled water. I mean after reminilizing with conditioner now my pH is 6 which is great. It means my substrate and driftwood is buffering the pH.

I need to add Catappa leaves to have good trace elements according to there natural habitat. I am not doing any changes. I only asked if adding a leaf will have too much impact on PH of water or if its minimal.

You could add a portion of a leaf and monitor parameters for the next several days for changes. If no changes, add more and retest.

You could add a portion of a leaf and monitor parameters for the next several days for changes. If no changes, add more and retest.
Thanks that's very nice idea. I am also thinking to boil leaf to release most of its tannins. For how long shall I boil approx? Or maybe instead of boiling soak leaf in water for long?

I think you’re over thinking things a bit bud. Brookster is right. Stability is key. I can tell you that every time I did something using reasonable logic something bad happened. Now I do pretty much nothing and the water is cleaner than it ever has been and the fish and shrimp are thriving.

Last week I bought 6 more harlequin rasbora and the TDS of the store water was 600+.

Our taps are between 50-100ppm and my tank is 160ppm all the time (top up with RO) so it really begs the question, ‘what the hell is going on in that shop?’

I think you’re over thinking things a bit bud. Brookster is right. Stability is key. I can tell you that every time I did something using reasonable logic something bad happened. Now I do pretty much nothing and the water is cleaner than it ever has been and the fish and shrimp are thriving.

Last week I bought 6 more harlequin rasbora and the TDS of the store water was 600+.

Our taps are between 50-100ppm and my tank is 160ppm all the time (top up with RO) so it really begs the question, ‘what the hell is going on in that shop?’
Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree. I am no longer gonna touch the water again and will let shrimp settle in. I did get Indian almond leaves but I haven't added them to tank. Will let shrimps settle in for like two weeks and then will include half of a leaf first and that is after boiling to release most of its tannins so it won't affect pH. I will do water change once a month only and only 20 percent maximum. Will do only top offs.

Well I have yet to see any water having 600 TDS. Something is very bad at LFS. Maybe its been a year they changed water of that particular tank? Added something inside?

Sounds like you’re on course to meet your goals.

As for my local store, it’s just the smoking gun of overstocked tanks that get fed an absurd amount of commercial fish feed. I’m 100% sure I can do a better job of looking after them although to be fair they are just holding tanks to sell from. It does highlight the varying parameters fish a subjected to throughout their journey.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’re on course to meet your goals.

As for my local store, it’s just the smoking gun of overstocked tanks that get fed an absurd amount of commercial fish feed. I’m 100% sure I can do a better job of looking after them although to be fair they are just holding tanks to sell from. It does highlight the varying parameters fish a subjected to throughout their journey.
Thanks. Yes I hope I am now on the right track. I should have started with neocaridinas first but I learned my lesson the hard way. Lessons learned hard way are never forgotten lol.

About the LFS its really fish abuse. Very bad. You can report them that there water is turning poison. This reminds me a YouTube video when one guy tested his tds for the first time and it was 900+ as he stopped looking after his tank and he still had some neocaridinas survived.

The IAL have antibacterial/antifungal properties so will benefit the shrimp in general health and well being. Boiling them will likely reduce or eliminate the most benefit.

Yes I do understand its the tannins those have such good effects but I did read and many people boil them to not have yellowish water. They do keep releasing tanins for long but not too much

Back
Top Bottom