Carrying ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i got these ghost shrimp to help clean my 10 g. I didnt plan on this but my female one is carrying eggs. I want to keep the shrimplets alive. I have an empty 2 gallon with no gravel or anything. Should i put the female in there until she drops her eggs or should i leave her in the ten? Thanks

Ghost shrimp are extremely hard to raise. The babys go thru diffrent stages of development before reaching the adult stage unlike neocardinia types which are born as miniature versions of the adult shrimp. Also i believe ghost shrimp young need brackish water but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in here. I was gonna try raising them too and researched a little but it turns out it wasnt as simple as i had hoped.

Cichlid Kid said:
Ghost shrimp are extremely hard to raise. The babys go thru diffrent stages of development before reaching the adult stage unlike neocardinia types which are born as miniature versions of the adult shrimp. Also i believe ghost shrimp young need brackish water but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in here. I was gonna try raising them too and researched a little but it turns out it wasnt as simple as i had hoped.

Not true. Not 100% true. Not always true

Here's the rub. Growing babes is easy if you're ready for it and know the type of shrimp you have.

If you have the types which are adapted to lower louisiana, and breed near brackish water, that's what you'll be need for babies. You'll have to ease your mother into a brackish salinity, keep her In the separate tank for babes which needs to be cycled and have a sponge filter, and remove the mother when she gives birth.

You can do the same thing to the more northern freshwater types. (Just because you live in the south or north doesn't dictate this, it has to do with where/how the shrimp was farmed) but just leave out the brackish water section.

For food? You can crush micro food for the free floating larvae type shrimp, and theyll feed off it, but it isn't a bad idea to have a Daphnea colony either.

To answer the why you're wrong about neocardinia -- is not all species in the genus give birth like that. There certainly are lower order breeders, probably half of all neocardinia species are.

Hope this answers all your questions. Ive raised them before. I even had a HoB filter. They're resilient little guys, but make sure to separate young from old. Old eats young. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom