Cherry Shrimp and pH Swings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of cycling a 3g tank that I've set up for keeping neocaridina heteropoda (blue velvet morph, if it matters). I'm using Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum, which lowers pH to a more suitable level than that of my tap water. While this will definitely be helpful for my future shrimp friends, it poses a slight problem for me.

How should I do my water changes without causing a huge pH swing? My tap water reads 7.6 - 7.8 after sitting out for a day, while the water in the shrimp tank consistently reads 6.6. I'm worried that when I change out any water, the pH fluctuation will harm the shrimp.

Should I just do frequent, small changes? Is there a way I can prepare the water beforehand? I know there are products that lower pH, but I've been warned to stay away from them because they can make things worse.

Help?

First thing is I always put shrimps in after my tank cycled.
But if the shrimps are already in, no problem. Red cherry shrimps are hardy.
Your tap water PHis not the worst. My tap water PH come out at 9 and I still use that for my rcs tank. The only thing I use with it is Seachem Prime and it work fine!
Small water change is better for preventing PH swing (20%), and if you want to prepare water for lowering PH, you can use blackwater, Indian Almond Leave and let it sit for a day before water change.
Hope this help

Should be fine!
If there're no shrimps yet. You can go ahead and do more water change until your tank is cycle!

Back
Top Bottom