Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Invertebrates
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cherry shrimp help

I have a relatively new, about two months, cherry shrimp tank. It's a 5.5 with a half dozen cherry shrimp and 5 white clouds. There is a good algae mat on the back and sides and the water temp is a consistent 74-76 f. As of two days ago I had 1 shrimp carrying eggs and another saddled and the others were very active. Yesterday I only saw 3 all day and so far today I haven't seen any at all. Any idea why the sudden change?

Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by agwats View Post
I have a relatively new, about two months, cherry shrimp tank. It's a 5.5 with a half dozen cherry shrimp and 5 white clouds. There is a good algae mat on the back and sides and the water temp is a consistent 74-76 f. As of two days ago I had 1 shrimp carrying eggs and another saddled and the others were very active. Yesterday I only saw 3 all day and so far today I haven't seen any at all. Any idea why the sudden change?
What else is in the tank?
Fish can harass shrimp, and sometimes gang up on them so the shrimp could have been a snack, or drove them into hiding.
Buried females also will hide in some cases, either releasing babies or just instinct because they are more vulnerable/sensitive whilst carrying eggs.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just the white clouds. They are too little to eat the shrimp and generally have been leaving them alone. Still haven't seen a single shrimp all day today. Haven't found any dead ones either...
agwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Just the white clouds. They are too little to eat the shrimp and generally have been leaving them alone. Still haven't seen a single shrimp all day today. Haven't found any dead ones either...
Oh they can eat them it's remarkable what tiny fish can do when you aren't paying attention.

Check your filter, I always find shrimp in mine. Check everywhere in the tank, or drop some sinking food in and wait. I go days without finding shrimp in my 5 gallon, but they are in there. Check around the tank, some shrimp are escape artists.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I'll keep that on mind. Maybe move the white clouds to my 20
Old 12-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #6
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ok. I'll keep that on mind. Maybe move the white clouds to my 20
I wouldn't, unless you are seeing them hunt down the shrimp. Just keep an eye out for babies reaching to adulthood, that will indicate whether or not you have hungry fish munching away at your shrimp population, or if the shrimp are breeding faster than being eaten

Add some food to see if it draws out the shrimp. Mine go crazy for NS sinking algae wafers.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool deal. I've never seen them bother the shrimp but that doesn't mean they don't
Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I saw 3 of the shrimp this afternoon, including the one that was saddled. She's now carrying a ton of eggs! No sign of the other Momma but she's been carrying her eggs for a few weeks now so maybe I'll see babies soon. I've had lots of fish but this is my first shrimp tank
Old 12-15-2017, 03:10 PM   #9
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I saw 3 of the shrimp this afternoon, including the one that was saddled. She's now carrying a ton of eggs! No sign of the other Momma but she's been carrying her eggs for a few weeks now so maybe I'll see babies soon. I've had lots of fish but this is my first shrimp tank
If they both have success producing shrimplets, you will have tons and tons before you know it, good luck!
Old 12-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Shrimps can go to hiding and its common specially if you have dense plants. Mine goes into hiding for long. They enjoy that. I have so many shrimps but I see usually two three roaming around and usually they like to hide inside my dense peral grass or Pearl weed. But there is a good check that drop some shrimp food and they will come out eventually. Also your fish can of course eat shrimps. Specially shrimplets. If you want to breed shrimps good then do a shrimp only tank or have some very tiny fish like mosquito rasboras.

Tags
cherry, cherry shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com