Cherry shrimp molt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cherry shrimp keep dying after they molt. Is that because of a calcium deficiency? I've had them for about a week or two none of then died at acclimation. The weird thing is Ive had amanos that I see molts weekly and haven't lost one since I bought them 2 months ago and there in the same tank.

It could be calcium but I would check ph first. Make sure it hasn't crashed. What is your water change schedule and how much do you change at a time?

Okay. Good info. Calcium deficiency may be an issue then. You could go down to your LFS and get some cuttlebone (usually in the bird section) and add a piece to your tank. It will float for a day or two but you can speed this up by boiling it first.

Yes it will slowly move your ph up as it dissolves. You should monitor the ph and perhaps adjust it down while you have the cuttlebone in there. You could mix some distilled water in with your next water change to carefully bring it down slowly, or use some ro water.

Follow up question are they suppose to eat it or just let it dissolve? It looks like some are eating it

Okay then I'll take someone out. Is more of it ingested when they eat it or is it more through the water?

If your water is low in minerals then they will need the supplement. But remember they're tiny so much isn't needed.

Back
Top Bottom