cherrys finally breeding!!! Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MMantelli

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need any and all advice possible for care of new baby shrimp.

First question are the eggs supposed to be yellow?

Last edited:
cherrys have green, yellow and whitish eggs, it all depends. most important thing to maximize survival rates is to keep parameters stable. second you want to feel baby shrimp food, have moss for them to hide in and graze on.

I have a ton of java moss in there and do a 50% water change every week. I feed my fry NLS fry formula which is a powder and also put a hikari bottom feeder pellet the ones in the ora.ge bag made for cories and loaches. and 1/2 of a NLS pellet in a bowl for the shrimp and snails. Am I on the right track?

Sounds like you are good to go. IMO feeding shrimp special foods isn't really necessary. I feed mine flakes and random fish foods and they breed a lot.

survival rates are much higher with baby shrimp food. 50% water change is too high, that will stress the shrimps. Most shrimp breeders rarely do more than 20% change a week.

survival rates are much higher with baby shrimp food. 50% water change is too high, that will stress the shrimps. Most shrimp breeders rarely do more than 20% change a week.

What are some good quality baby shrimp food. Wouldn't NLS Fry Formula and the occasional wafer like the ones I mentioned earlier be sufficent?

Well its only a 10g with10 cichlid fry, at least 2 dozen snails and 30 shrimp is only 20% a week sufficent when dosing ferts daily in a dirted tank?

what you have should be fine, i was responding to the person that said you dont need any. 20% is more than enough unless your cichlid frys have high bioload.

Shrimp are natural born scavengers, so specialized baby shrimp food isn't necessary IMO. Their instinct is to find and eat whatever they can. I have bred hundreds of RCS over the years, just feeding them fish flakes and pellets. If I was going to try to provide a special food for them, I would toss in a bunch of slow growing plants to harbor microfauna.

Last edited:
Shrimp are natural born scavengers, so specialized baby shrimp food isn't necessary IMO. Their instinct is to find and eat whatever they can. I have bred hundreds of RCS over the years, just feeding them fish flakes and pellets. If I was going to try to provide a special food for them, I would toss in a bunch of slow growing plants to harbor microfauna.

thats definitely true in a big tank and a small number of rcs. I generally keep around 300-400 rcs in a 2.5 gallon, so baby food is pretty important, if i want to keep my shrimp surivial rates as high as possible.

Back
Top Bottom