"Chocolate" Cherry RCS with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Anyone having the occasional deep brown Russet Cherry Shrimp pop up in their Dark red shrimp?
Experiences and thoughts are appreciated...

I have a small group of shrimp which have the once in a while deep brown one.

Right now she looks like she is berried.

There was some before and I would get a Rili shrimp about every other time the momma had babies. I gave them all away as well as the Chocolate ones to keep the Reds Red.

I left this tank be and there are about 6 shrimp now. There are Scarlet Gem Badis in there because I was in the middle of switching over to a nano fish tank instead of shrimp.

Now that I see this beautiful shrimp I think I want to take the Badis (they hunt down all tiny shrimp) out and see about these babies.

It is a hider and I have just seen it out and about a couple nights ago, and my cell phone was dead, so no pics yet.

Edit Here are some pics,
The lighter reddish brown momma
60074-albums9764-picture67592.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture67591.jpg

60074-albums9764-picture67590.jpg

she is behind the rock
60074-albums9764-picture67589.jpg

Better pic
60074-albums9764-picture67594.jpg

Daddy shrimp
60074-albums9764-picture67595.jpg

There were a couple more but I guess they were camera shy.

There is a deep Fire Red female and another male at least.

Last edited:
The 2nd to last pick looks like the brown you're talking about. I havent had this color variant. Mine will occasionally produce a crs like white/clear band across the midsection.
The only thing to do is remove him to keep the red you want.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is that brown shrimp a different type of all together?

The 2nd to last pick looks like the brown you're talking about. I havent had this color variant. Mine will occasionally produce a crs like white/clear band across the midsection.
The only thing to do is remove him to keep the red you want.

That would be a Rili Shrimp,

Is that brown shrimp a different type of all together?

Nope, this is from the Cherry shrimp. This group also produced Blue Rili and Blue Velvets from the breeder I bought them from. I have the Blue Velvets from that Breeder as well here is a pic of the ones she was able to breed.
60074-albums13090-picture64811.jpg

From a previous group of RCS I had one that would also produce the occasional Rili. I sold off most of them to work on raising the Deep red and Fire Reds when I got the big batch from the breeder.

Then sold off and traded a bunch then lost some and these are what is left.

Since I am not doing the Fire Red tank now, I was working toward just nano fish. Then I saw how lovely and interesting these Brown reddish brown are and thought I might go with the brown for awhile.

So my mini project is to raise some more brown "Chocolate" Cherry shrimp.

I was given an Aqua Farm tank and it has been holding my extra and grow out plants in it for a while so it would be good for the little Scarlet Badis to go into but I need to check the water as it is outside and leaves and stuff are in it. More natural habitat for them I guess.

The brown and reddish brown shrimp will stay in the 6.6G Edge so I can observe them more easily.

Interesting projects:) let me know if you become overrun with those blue velvet shrimp. They're pretty cool.
You must be in a southern climate with your plant aquarium outdoors? Do you have a pond as well?

Interesting projects:) let me know if you become overrun with those blue velvet shrimp. They're pretty cool.
You must be in a southern climate with your plant aquarium outdoors? Do you have a pond as well?

Yes it will be a bit, as the BN plecos are eating the tiny baby I think as they mow through the tank and I have tried unsuccessfully numerous times to get them out, there is a spidery spiderwood and lots of plants in a 12G Edge tank and HARD to get stuff out of there.

Nah :) cold in winter here. But I bring the buckets inside and usually put a light on them. I have been trying to get the mass of stuff down to a smaller size, and am now down to just one Aqua Farm full.

Used to have a little 125G pond molded plastic variety, with a 45G (55G size) trash can filter. It started as an experiment and was a huge success so I kept it. Then I moved and didn't have a good place to put a real pond or the time to dig it so I rehomed them to a lovely real pond in the ground type, lol.

At some point I plan to get the Plecos out of the BV tank and will have a zillion:lol: That will mean tearing apart the tank and making a huge mess though.

So for now my new project and just need to move 2-3 fish!

Last edited:
My pfrs. I have a few left.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1412107937740.jpg
    1412107937740.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 129
  • 1412108033855.jpg
    1412108033855.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 128
Rili pops up in my colony to but they're blue and red. Carbon red rili maybe?

Attachments

• 1412108143340.jpg
    1412108143340.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 1412108199891.jpg
    1412108199891.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for posting those. Yes the most like the color I had was that one reddish brown in the 1st pic nearest to the black tubes. I think the ones with the dark and light red are the ones which pop out the Rilis, I had blue and red and some white and red Rilis.

That's awesome. My friend that I got mine from had a solid blue pop up then he couldn't find it again.

That's awesome. My friend that I got mine from had a solid blue pop up then he couldn't find it again.

Keep looking!!! Anyway that's how it happens, kinda exciting:cool:

This brown blackish one blends in REALLY well.

Anyhow I had browns pop up less often than the Rili color combos. I loved my really blue and red, others were a bit tinted blue.

I previously culled the last brown to a friend who keeps shrimp, it was fully berried but they didn't notice any new browns.

Now that I feel the browns are coming in better now they can breed back and forth and I am really excited to see what the new batch of babies will have.

Tomorrow I will be doing a clean out on the tank to get out the Scarlet Badis so the babies won't be eaten by them and I will have a chance to see the babies grow up :)

So it has been a very long time. But...it has worked and there are now about 5 more brown babies. They started very light, almost a tan with a little bit of a tint underlying color but distinctly clear to tan. There was a couple nice red ones which came out. But all of the rest except one maybe two stayed lighter. Now there are darker browns with the tannish/light stripe down the back. Like you see frequently with the yellow Neos.

I will be checking around soon to see if I can find any of other peoples brown Cherry shrimp to add into the mix. I did see one seller with them for sale online last month.

Will try to get a few more pics sometime in the next week or so. I see at least 2 berried now, they seem lightly to medium berried, not too many babies. Kinda just saw quickly and didn't have time to study them to see any more or actually count them all. Things have been crazy for a few weeks and will likely be that way a bit longer, so when I can.

Since this is a long time process, I hope there won't be a loss of interest since it takes so long to breed a viable line once you even realize you have something to work with. I haven't ever done this myself and had good consistent success with successive spawns over time. We will see, at least it looks promising at this point.

I may have to put together another tank. Im seeing more and more chocolate variants in my colony now.
Im still waiting to spot some blues which is what id like to go after.

I may have to put together another tank. Im seeing more and more chocolate variants in my colony now.
Im still waiting to spot some blues which is what id like to go after.

sounds like fun!

Watching to see you find a new strain

Just a girl that fell in love with a boy and together they fell in

That sounds way cool! I'm tracking this thread too.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Interesting to note that the various color variations show up that frequently in the offspring.

It seemed to come from the reddish brown ones.

On a problem note, I need to cull out all the red ones and really pale ones and circumstances the last couple of months have caused a backlog on some of the tasks I might normally have had already completed. I am back to getting things checked off the list so this task is coming up soon.

And will be back on track!

There are about 30+ in the tank right now. Only about 10 have the more brown traits.

No Neos breed true!! That's why I like them so much. Its something you have to stay on top of all the time. I have 7 shrimp tanks of Neos to keep the colors. Once you start getting to the higher grade they start to change the color patterns. My black breeds dark blue, black, black rose and dark browns. My blue velvet breed blue, blue with a little red. My yellow will sometimes spit out an orange. Its pretty cool but shrimp keepers end up with a bunch of tanks for culls.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I need to get another tank up for culls. It's on my list of things I keep meaning to do but just never get around to

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom