Community invert ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've begun cycling my 60 gallon community tank. I wanted to add some inverts to the mix. Something not predatory either. Please help!

Cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, tiger shrimp, African dwarf frogs, freshwater clams, micro crabs, snails.

You could have ghost shrimp but they are not very visually appealing. Also very hard to keep alive in my experience. Will likely kill any other breed of shrimp.

Adding dwarf frogs and shrimp together isn't the best idea but in a tank that size, the frogs wouldn't get a hold of enough shrimp to make a difference in the population.

I recommend cherries, they're wonderful and very beautiful.

YaBuddyHuddie said:
Cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, tiger shrimp, African dwarf frogs, freshwater clams, micro crabs, snails.

You could have ghost shrimp but they are not very visually appealing. Also very hard to keep alive in my experience. Will likely kill any other breed of shrimp.

Adding dwarf frogs and shrimp together isn't the best idea but in a tank that size, the frogs wouldn't get a hold of enough shrimp to make a difference in the population.

I recommend cherries, they're wonderful and very beautiful.

Do cherries need a planted habitat? That sounds cool!

AaronW said:
Do cherries need a planted habitat? That sounds cool!

Well...I wouldn't say it's needed but I highly recommend it. I've never seen anyone keep cherries in a tank without plants. A small piece of driftwood and some moss type plants would be great for them. I also highly recommend using sand substrate.

Well since you have a 60 gallon tank I'd actually add a lot of driftwood. They could have quite a colony going in no time. They reproduce fast. As long as the young ones have places to hide you're set.

First off all shrimp need a mature tank where there is no possibility of ammonia spikes and there's lots of biofilm for them to eat. Otherwise it's a huge waste of money because its very likely the shrimp will not make it.

Unless we know the stock it's hard to provide accurate recommendations for the tank. Cherry shrimp, Amanos or wood shrimp and some type of snail would work well. Just make sure that any fish you add will not make a meal out of them. A planted tank with lots of shrimp and some nano fish would look great! My favorites are danio choprae or maculata rasbora.

Mogurako said:
First off all shrimp need a mature tank where there is no possibility of ammonia spikes and there's lots of biofilm for them to eat. Otherwise it's a huge waste of money because its very likely the shrimp will not make it.

Unless we know the stock it's hard to provide accurate recommendations for the tank. Cherry shrimp, Amanos or wood shrimp and some type of snail would work well. Just make sure that any fish you add will not make a meal out of them. A planted tank with lots of shrimp and some nano fish would look great! My favorites are danio choprae or maculata rasbora.

Well I have some larger fish, I have a tiretrack eel, Pictus cat, golden gourami, and a rhino Pleco. Should I wait till they get a little bigger? Maybe a blue crayfish.

Cichlid Kid said:
Keeping amano and rcs would work well but i wouldn't put the frogs or fw clams in with them.

Would amanos and rcs crossbreed?

Any shrimp you put in there would be food, no cherries and amanos won't crossbreed. The cray wouldn't be advisable either.

Mogurako said:
Any shrimp you put in there would be food, no cherries and amanos won't crossbreed. The cray wouldn't be advisable either.

Hmm. Red clawed crabs possibly? Im stumped

Back
Top Bottom