Copepod outbreak in RCS tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys. So I have a 10 gallon low tech RCS tank that is thriving really well. Although I just started to notice these little white dots swimming everywhere in my tank. I have done a great number of water changes to try to get them but it just seem to be kicking it. I don't know if they pose a threat to my RCS or not. Should I be concerned?

they hare harmless. Its normal to have them in a shrimp only tank. But if you have a large number of them, it means you are over feeding. Cutting back on feeding and removing uneaten food after 3-4 hours tends to control their population.

Their numbers may go down over time. Early on in my shrimp tank I had quite a few Copepods (and hydra). Both populations have dwindled to almost non-existent now. For a while there I only had a couple of shrimp so feeding was light for a month or two. I've increased the shrimp numbers and feelings so those populations may change.

I have them in all my tanks and I preform large water changes and feed sparingly. I view them as a sign that my tank is healthy/thriving at a micro level and there's plenty of micro fauna for the shrimp to eat. I know others may not agree but hey to each their own.

If you find their population is to out of control try adding 1-2 of a micro fish like Celestial pearl danio or explanation point rasbora for a week, they will drastically bring down the population if the pods and ignore the shrimp. I will often rotate guppy fry throughout my tank to curb their numbers and fatten up my fish.

If you find yourself with Planaria however then that is a sure sign something is out of balance, likely to much organic waste in the system.

Some of us actually culture copepods for fish food, they're harmless enough. Hydra though, they can kill baby shrimplets that get too close, even though they may not be able to eat them, they can kill. So best to get rid of Hydra. Spixi snails eat hydra, and also other snails too.

Even planaria make good fish food, though they are not very attractive. Less food sure does help reduce their numbers. But I mainly worry about the huge Asian planaria, which are more than large enough to eat a baby shrimp as a snack. I've seen them once, over an inch long. UGH.

Back
Top Bottom