Copper killing shrimp.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, if anyone has any input on this. Please do! So I just bought my RCS and I heard how copper kills shrimp, hence, I want to know how much copper kills shrimp. Right now I dose seachem flourish, nitrogen, potassium, iron and excel to my planted tank with RCS and I'm afraid the copper on the ferts may kill the shrimp, would it? I dose 2.5ml of flourish which has copper in it. So would it kill shrimp? Thanks :)

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, if anyone has any input on this. Please do! So I just bought my RCS and I heard how copper kills shrimp, hence, I want to know how much copper kills shrimp. Right now I dose seachem flourish, nitrogen, potassium, iron and excel to my planted tank with RCS and I'm afraid the copper on the ferts may kill the shrimp, would it? I dose 2.5ml of flourish which has copper in it. So would it kill shrimp? Thanks :)

I Googled it and this is what I got on Snail control & Copper Yes copper sulfate is very highly toxic to invertebrates such as crab, shrimp and oysters. If you have any of these in your freshwater aquarium, you should not use copper sulfate to treat a snail infestation because they will die too.

I believe it does. I got some shrimp a while ago and stopped dosing flourish for about a month to let them acclimate and become comfortable. After about a month, I dosed about 1/4 recommended for my tank. Over the next couple days, half of them died. Haven't dosed flourish since and no more deaths

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did some calculations. And according to a study which suggest that 1picogram of copper in 1gram of shrimp is the Max it can take. However. There is 0.0000234gram of copper per 2.5ml of flourish, so... Thanks guys :) how dare sea chem say flourish is shrimp safe:mad:

Hi Lovecatfish.
I use Excel and Flourish. I add 2ml of flourish to my 200l of water daily. The dosage is 5ml per week but I add a smaller dose daily because if my uncertainty of the copper. My RCS are thriving and breeding like rabbits. I had some losses early on, before using Flourish, and I put this down to the RCS not liking being in different water. I persevered and they started to survive and breed. I believe that the shrimp bred in the tank are very strong and that the flourish has NO effect on them.
This is, of course, only my experience and not a definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm I think slowly increasing the dosage for me might help to acclimate them. Thanks for the input!

So after reading everyone else, I'm beginning to suspect if my case was just coincidence. After doing some light dosing over the last few days, it seems like it may have been. Shrimp are perfectly fine still and still as active as they were. So yea, follow what everyone else said.

Argh 3 shrimp just died... Apparently my highest grade shrimp didn't die, but instead the lower grade ones did... Anyway I think its the temperature, 82F which cannot be helped since my country is tropical all year round of an average of 82-86F...

Sorry about your losses. The shrimp do require trace / minute amounts of Copper for their blood. But medications would be deadly. I have used Flourish and Leaf Zone, Aqueon Plant Food and the shrimp did well.

Okay thanks, I am giving up on shrimp because of the need for a much lower temperature. Looks like they are gonna be expensive feeders for my snakehead...

I noticed that the Ghost Shrimp in my tank began to die when my temperature increased as well. I was dosing Flourish at the same time, so I thought it was the ferts. I should do an experiment to know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've used Flourish and so far as I can tell it never harmed any shrimp. Fan, ghost, Neos, Vampires, all doing fine despite Flourish and Excel regularly used as directed. I measure carefully, using a syringe, so I don't overdose.

Small fans aimed at the water's surface can be used to keep temperatures down. You have to do more topups because evaporation increases greatly, of course. May not be worth it, depending how much you pay for power or for fans or if fans can't keep it cool enough to work. Many shrimp need much cooler water, and do best around 72 or 74 F, and tolerate it much cooler than that for some time.

Okay thanks, I am giving up on shrimp because of the need for a much lower temperature. Looks like they are gonna be expensive feeders for my snakehead...

You can try setting them on the floor where it might be cooler and don't run the lights for very long at time or get a led bulb.

You can run a little fan over the water and that cools a few degrees. Before you let them be feeders :ermm:.

Okay thanks :) I'll try... Thanks guys :) the fan idea is cool haha

Back
Top Bottom