Crawfish issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What should I fee them and can I just get a tank separator for them and I have a whisper filter the intake on the filter can barely suck leaves from plants in cuz the holes are so small will that work and also how many would I end up having or does it just depend on the do with each other and the health of them and I have a picture of the top

Hopefully this is good if not I have more I don't wana stress out the mother

Attachments

• image-245607670.jpg
    image-245607670.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 51
It's really difficult to identify it from that picture. Don't worry about it, because the advice is mostly the same in this instance.

What should I fee them and can I just get a tank separator for them and I have a whisper filter the intake on the filter can barely suck leaves from plants in cuz the holes are so small will that work and also how many would I end up having or does it just depend on the do with each other and the health of them and I have a picture of the top

Feed them vegetables (like spinach, carrots, etc.), algae wafers, or if it's in a community tank, they'll eat fish flakes that make their way to the bottom or they'll simply catch fish and eat them. The mothers don't eat as much when they have eggs on them; they mostly just stay in whatever little hide they can find.

You could get a tank divider, but you're going to be looking at around 100 babies, maybe a lot more. If that one tank is all you have, then just create a bunch of hiding spots for the little ones. The babies might be okay if the filter holes are small enough, but I wouldn't chance it. You don't even have to buy a sponge, you can just use something you have laying around the house like pillow stuffing or something. Clean it well and just rubber band it to the filter intake.

Like I said, you can expect around 100, sometimes more, sometimes less. One guy who was breeding them once got 400 to survive! Depending on how much cannibalism is going on, there could be less babies. But the more hiding places you provide and the better your water conditions are, the more you'll have in the long run.

As they start to grow, however, you'll need to find more space for them. The general rule of thumb is one crawfish per 10 gallons. You can bend that rule for babies, but they will grow. If you don't have the space for them, see if you can sell them to your LFS or even online. You can also use them for feeders if you have oscars or something like that.

Speaking of which, what other fish do you have in there? Because there are certain fish which might not be a danger to the mother crawfish, but which may eat the babies.

Oh wow thanks for the information really needed that and the only thing my filter can suck up are like sinking pellets things around that small and the only other fish I have in there is a dinosaur Bircher but that is like an inch long maybe shorter.
This is my tank right now it's hiding in the house by the bridge

Attachments

• image-212584882.jpg
    image-212584882.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom