cray death!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n30nbrown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im an amateur shrimper..mine do not seem to live long. Population just barely seems to be sustaining itself. I cannot hold onto any dwarf crays (shufeldtii, patzcuarensis) for longer than two or three weeks. Every couple days in the morning I will find the belly up on the substrate

I have a 36 gallon bowfront With a 30" finnex planted...Co2 via "carbon Doser" Regulator With the bubble counter one every four seconds

Filtration via Fluvall G6

am I a little lax on the water changes... 25% every 2weeks or 10% weekly?

also i leave the co2 on 24/7.. i haven't taken multiple pH readings throughout the day/night cycle... should i put the co2 on the same schedule as my lights?

Feeding for the inverts are with the available algae.. and fluvall shrimp granules , feeding them A pinch A day, plus boiled zucchini twice weekly

Tank mates include five Happy and full otos

parameters:

PH: 6.5

TDS:317

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite: zero

KH 99(5.5)

GH 143(8)

oh yeah and temp is a solid 76F(24.4C)

Thank you all for your consideration and help!

97rPJtA.jpg

tshFuGm.jpg

some pics:

Nice tank! I don't have experience with pressurized CO2, only Excel, but from what I've read during some researching here and there I would recommend to turn on CO2 only if the lights are on. To reiterate some basics, plants need light and CO2 (fertilizer and what not). With no light to photosynthesize, CO2 saturation increases in the water, which leads to a big swing in pH parameters at night. could be shocking your inverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice tank! I don't have experience with pressurized CO2, only Excel, but from what I've read during some researching here and there I would recommend to turn on CO2 only if the lights are on. To reiterate some basics, plants need light and CO2 (fertilizer and what not). With no light to photosynthesize, CO2 saturation increases in the water, which leads to a big swing in pH parameters at night. could be shocking your inverts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 plants only absorb the co2 when the lights are on for them to photosynthesize. I use air stones after my lights cut off to diffuse the leftover co2. I use pressurized co2.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

wow. that has to be it. thank you....my ph was 7.6 this am after i turned off the co2! (up from 6.5)

so how do i ameliorate this?
do I put my co2 on the same timer as my lighting? also increase surface agitation?

do you put the airstone on a timer as well?

thanks

wow. that has to be it. thank you....my ph was 7.6 this am after i turned off the co2! (up from 6.5)

so how do i ameliorate this?

do I put my co2 on the same timer as my lighting? also increase surface agitation?

do you put the airstone on a timer as well?

thanks

Yes everything on my planted tank is on timers lol.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom