Crayfish molting duration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I picked up a couple of CPOs this summer and had them in a different 10 gallon tank with some nano fish. Both died within the first month. One, I believe, was killed by the other while it was recovering from its first molt. Then the survivor later died during its first molt. When I say "first molt" I mean the first one while in my possession.

They were cool little guys, and I would get them again after more research and preparation. They were sort of an impulse buy for me because my LFS rarely has them and they tend to sell out quickly. I just happen to be there the day they got them in. I didnt really have any good hiding spots for them to recover safely in, and the gravel seemed like it made it a tad difficult for them to get at the food I put in for them. Also, you never really know how good the stock at the LFS is, so there's always the possibility that I had an uphill battle to begin with.

Im slowly putting putting together a planted 45 gallon and was thinking I might try them again once everything is up and well established.

Part of the problem may have been simply that you got them the same day the lfs received them. Going from the shipping bag to a store tank to your tank all in one is a vast amount of stress for any creature, and they'd have had to try to adapt to changing parameters several times in just a few hours. Stress won't always kill right away, but it can be a reason for something like a failed moult or not being strong enough to survive a moult.

A reputable store usually won't sell stock that has not had at least a day or two to acclimate to their tanks, but stores do vary in their policy where this is concerned. I don't know how long the big chains give new stock [ Petsmart and the like ], but I always ask when the critters I'm looking at got there, no matter what store I'm in. I've skipped many purchases because the fish had only just got there.

I know it can be difficult for many folks, if they're unable to get to a store often, or only limited stores that may get some kinds of stock only now and then, or if your only source is Petsmart or something similar. Sadly, there is always an element of risk buying livestock. But it's truly not a good idea to buy livestock that has not had any time to acclimate to the store tank, let along recover somewhat from shipping stresses.

I have the good fortune to live within a very short distance of at least six good stores, not counting a Petsmart. I'm often in another area that has several more stores. This is my good luck, I know. Most of the stores will not sell stock for at least a day or two after receipt. I'm pretty leary of buying stock that hasn't been around at least a week, though I realize that sometimes you just have to get them while you can and hope for the best. Some species just don't turn up very often and it might be the only shot you get at them. If so, you do the best you can and hope it works out.

6 stores not including petsmart?!?! I have 2 (including petsmart) okay ones within a half hour and 1 good one an hour and a half away. Lucky you :)

Yes I am very fortunate. I sometimes say I live at Fish Central.. there are five stores within just six blocks of me, and another fifteen minutes away. Petsmart is actually much farther, close to half hour or so. I don't often go there, and if I do, usually for something cat related. I think I did buy mystery snails at a Petsmart once though, they had some nice really dark blue ones.

There are many accomplished aquarists on both sides of that issue - buying new fish. Some prefer to wait till the fish have been there for a time before buying them, and others want to pick them up the same day the fish arrive.

Back
Top Bottom