Crayfish not mating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misfitstimm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any ideas why my crayfish aren't mating. Have had these two since about late January early February. Water is super clean, regular changes, large filter. Have caves for them. They are eating well. But nothing. Hoping maybe after the next molt.

Guessing I won't get actual replies

sorry making light of your problem, I know you are just asking for help.

Some species need different triggers to breed. Triggers may be a change in the amount of light and number of light hours, a change in temperature, change of circulation, good quality food.
Just like shrimp, they like stability in water conditions such as PH.
I would start by stepping down the amount of time the aquarium lights are on, they might not be getting enough "alone time"
If you see them clamped together then they are doing the deed.
Also when they do molt leave it in the tank for them to eat, they need the nutrients.
There is a section in this forum that specifically deals with breeding too.
Either way I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Awesome thank you so much. Yea I keep checking ph. They molt fine and my shrimp are mating and molting like crazy ( different tank with lots of light since it's heavily planted).

I don't have a light on crayfish tank but they are within 5 feet of my indoor grow lights. Those lights are on for about 12 hours a day so maybe I should cover the cray tank?

Thank you again you have been very insightful.

Back
Top Bottom