Crayfish or shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bamboo shrimp are pretty neat shrimp bigger than the usual freshwater shrimp...require a mature tank that's been setup for at least four to six months and they are filter feeders so they need a pretty good flow with enough little particle in the water for it to eat

Shrimp are pretty cool! Shrimp and snails seem like a great clean up team for freshwater!

Shrimp are pretty cool! Shrimp and snails seem like a great clean up team for freshwater!

Indeed they are I love them both I have tons of mystery snails and just recently got some mts...and just ordered some shrimp the other day

Indeed they are I love them both I have tons of mystery snails and just recently got some mts...and just ordered some shrimp the other day

I'm getting snails too! I haven't done much research on them yet though. What kinds do you recommend?

I'm getting snails too! I haven't done much research on them yet though. What kinds do you recommend?

Umm I would do some sort of nerite snail...I personally like the horned nerites...but they are all pretty neat but there is also mystery snails which come in a few different cool colors and there is also rabbit snails which sort of look like mts but I think they get bigger and look much cooler and then there are the rams horns which are Somtimes considered pest along with mts because they reproduce to quickly

I know as a rule of thumb it's 1"of fish per gallon of water, I'm guessing this isn't true with shrimp? I do have a large 280GPH HOB filter and plan to eventually have the tank heavily planted. Could I go slightly over the 1"per gallon rule?

And thanks for all the good advice! I really do appreciate it! :D

Umm actually the one inch a gallon is not a very good rule to follow it is mostly based on the amount of bio load they produce if you use aquadvisor I think its called lolol....and you put your stock in there for your size tank with the type of filter you have it can help

I know as a rule of thumb it's 1"of fish per gallon of water, I'm guessing this isn't true with shrimp? I do have a large 280GPH HOB filter and plan to eventually have the tank heavily planted. Could I go slightly over the 1"per gallon rule?

And thanks for all the good advice! I really do appreciate it! :D

Nowadays, the 1" of fish per gallon is not a very good rule to follow. I mean you can still use it for smaller fish but for bigger fish with larger bio loads, don't follow it.
And for shrimp its usually around 5 shrimp per gallon.

Do you want them to just eat algae, breed, clean gravel/sand, etc? Nerites are great snails but the only thing is that they can't breed in fw.
Mysterys, mts, and ramshorn are the best types IMO.

Do you want them to just eat algae, breed, clean gravel/sand, etc? Nerites are great snails but the only thing is that they can't breed in fw.
Mysterys, mts, and ramshorn are the best types IMO.

Mainly just clean.

Then yah I think nerites or mysterys would be good for you...or both if you wanted

Umm yah maybe...you could get get different colored mystery snails like some gold ones or blacks or blue or purple or magentas...and some different types of nerites like an olive zebra and a horned

Umm yah maybe...you could get get different colored mystery snails like some gold ones or blacks or blue or purple or magentas...and some different types of nerites like an olive zebra and a horned

Yeah, that'd be really cool. Get each snail a different color. :)

Nowadays, the 1" of fish per gallon is not a very good rule to follow. I mean you can still use it for smaller fish but for bigger fish with larger bio loads, don't follow it.
And for shrimp its usually around 5 shrimp per gallon.

Good to know...

Since I only have a 20 gallon I'm sticking with small fish though that means I'll be almost fully stocked once I get the shrimp and 3 more tetras...

Back
Top Bottom